Hot Rod Forum banner

Everything Was Ice Covered, I Took a Drive Around With My Dash Cam.

810 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  CrashFarmer2 
#1 ·
It was icy the other day so I decided to take a drive around some of my home farm to look at the ice and see if there were any dead trees I should cut down.
I had my dash cam on and I think it took a nice look at a little of the farm that I live on. I should have crossed the creek but the water has been a little on the high side and the thought of the long walk up the hill to get a tractor wasn't that appealing.

#2 ·
I hope you say to yourself everyday how thankful you are to live where you live. Everywhere has good and bad points, and I am thankful I live in the city I do. But I also remember when this city looked like THAT! Wonderful times, wonderful times. The photo is of my "Babo" (avô or grandfather in Portuguese, I couldn't say it) out in the back of our yard. It was in the middle of thousands of acres of farm land. It's now COVERED, I mean every square foot COVERED in houses. :(

Brian

Attachments

#6 ·
I like living where I live. I lived in Des Moines too long to suit me when I married my wife. She had moved to Des Moines from NW Iowa and she thought she was there to stay, she was never going to marry a farmer or live on a farm or a small town again. I didn't fit in in the city. That was back in my heavy drinking days and I'd come home in my hopped up 69 F100 and forget to shut the door. There it'd be the next morning sitting in our driveway with the door hanging open. :D Those city folks also didn't understand the 6 cars sitting in the driveway. I got a visit from a city official one day about that but they were all licensed and there wasn't a thing he could do about that. He did try to tell me that I couldn't park my pickup in my own driveway since I used it in my business and that made it a commercial vehicle, come on, a F100? I could feel the neighbors watching me when I was outside. It took me a year to talk my wife into moving back down to the farm.

Brian, it makes me sad to think that your land got swallowed up. The city will never reach here in my lifetime but it's a heck of a lot closer than it was when I was a child.

Question from a city boy.

Why is so much of the land not cultivated, in hay, or pasture? It see,s there is a lot of land that is not being utilized.

Probably showing my ignorance.

John
A big share of this farm has been in CRP since 1986. Conservation Reserve Program I was a young man the last time these hills were farmed but I've had to tear it up and reseed it a couple of times.

#4 ·
It was icy the other day so I decided to take a drive around some of my home farm to look at the ice and see if there were any dead trees I should cut down.
I had my dash cam on and I think it took a nice look at a little of the farm that I live on. I should have crossed the creek but the water has been a little on the high side and the thought of the long walk up the hill to get a tractor wasn't that apealing. ]
Question from a city boy.

Why is so much of the land not cultivated, in hay, or pasture? It see,s there is a lot of land that is not being utilized.

Probably showing my ignorance.

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.