Everything is lifting - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2008, 06:10 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Everything is lifting

Ok, I'm a beginner painter and im learning mostly by trial and error method. My problem is this: recently I was color sanding and buffing the car, it was turnining out beautifully until the last few inches I needed to buff and thats when the buffer jumped and burned through in two places, darn! So, Ive sanded these areas down and feather edged nicely but I had to go back down to the base. I put on some polyester filler and noticed very small cracks forming where the filler touched the base. I thought I could cover it with primer but thats when it really started lifting. I resanded back down to the base and tried to glaze it out no luck it turned everything to putty. I'm using Nason base/clear and there is a very strong odor when sanding to the base like the paint is still wet/evaporating, but it has been painted for almost three years now. What can I do to stop the lifting now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2008, 07:36 PM
Cox Custom Cars

Last photo:

Sand the entire area down to the basecoat. Then mix some epoxy reduced to a sealer as per instructions on the P-Sheet.

Seal the entire area. Using a scotchbrite pad, scuff the area including an area beyond the sealed area.

reapply you base coat but do not go past the sealed area.

apply three coats of clear coat and go to the edge of the scuffed area, but not past it.

After cured, Wet sand with 1200, 1500 and 2000, out past the scuffed area. Then buff to a high shine.

Frank
Old 09-03-2008, 08:33 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the quick reply I will get some sealer
tomorrow should have it painted by the weekend thanks!
Old 09-04-2008, 06:48 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

You didn't say what color you are dealing with, and that could make things more difficult. You also didn't say where the spot is at that needs to be fixed.

That being said, I would not try spraying the clear only in the damaged area. You should clear the whole panel. The area will likely be noticeable if you try spraying the clear only in the area of the damage, unless you use a clear blender, and still may show it's ugly head.

Aaron
Old 09-05-2008, 05:04 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derkyb
Ok, I'm a beginner painter and im learning mostly by trial and error method. My problem is this: recently I was color sanding and buffing the car, it was turnining out beautifully until the last few inches I needed to buff and thats when the buffer jumped and burned through in two places, darn! So, Ive sanded these areas down and feather edged nicely but I had to go back down to the base. I put on some polyester filler and noticed very small cracks forming where the filler touched the base. I thought I could cover it with primer but thats when it really started lifting. I resanded back down to the base and tried to glaze it out no luck it turned everything to putty. I'm using Nason base/clear and there is a very strong odor when sanding to the base like the paint is still wet/evaporating, but it has been painted for almost three years now. What can I do to stop the lifting now?
Don't lay the primer on wet. Give it more of a dry coat. A wet coat will eat into the base and cause it to raise.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:52 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

If this spot is still small, don't make it any bigger.

What is happening is the solvent is getting under the clear because the paint is soaking it up. So, over the clear, there will be no problem, only if you spray something over the base will you get the lifting. The finer the paper you are sanding with the better. If the paper is too coarse it leaves scratches for the solvent ot get into the base as well. So go over it well with 400 or so.

So, to seal off that base is what you are after. All you need is a "shell" over that base, with the least amount of solvent to soak down into the base.

Sooooo, as mentioned, spraying kinda "dry", spray VERY light coats with LOTS of flash time in between you can build up this "shell" over the base.

Brian
Old 09-05-2008, 07:53 AM

Last journal entry: Shop Remodel Progress

Nason is a poor quality paint IMO.

If you are having lifting problems after 3 years, you're going to have a difficult time trying to get this problem fixed.

Even if you get the edges to stop lifting - it's guaranteed you're going to experience massive shrinking in the area afterwards.

You've got 2 choices, just patch it up the best you can and understand it will never be perfect - or - strip the Nason paint off and start over...a paint job is only as good as what's underneath.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.