Hot Rod Forum banner

exaust?v8 rx7 project

6K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  4 Jaw Chuck 
#1 ·
this may not be right place to put this thread I do apologize if its not

Im building a v8 rx7 and well I cant afford the high quality headers from the conversion site I'm buying most of the kit off of.....So I was wondering would a set of block huggers like these:http://store.summitracing.com/partd...&N=700+4294923429+4294839039+115&autoview=sku fit?
or does anyone no anything better for me?
I'm looking to spend about 300$ total for headers or manifolds for a Chevy 350 sbc into my 1983 rx7

#3 ·
Jake_Dragon said:
How do they compare to the ones in the kit.
Its got to be tight in there, will these headers allow space for your starter?
I have the same headers on my Vette and they are very snug to the block.

These are the headers from the kit..they are 460 dollars for the kit
http://grannysspeedshop.com/
their description:
Top quality, 1-5/8" primary tubes, 2-1/2" collectors.
Excellent fit, no sheet metal modifications required.
Full equal length. Excellent ground clearance.
Fit both straight and angle plug heads.
Collector area specially formed internally for maximum scavange effect.
Custom designed for the V-8 RX-7 to support 550hp
Standard port or fastburn style "D" port............465.00/set

As you can see the ones from the kit are full headers bent in the correct and needed areas to fit in the engine bay.
I honestly have no clue about how close either are, since I have never seen or worked with either

Attachments

#5 ·
Those are some nice headers but I understand being on a budget. I have Sanderson shorty headers on my Fiero. They sound good and don't interfere with the drive shafts or motor mounts.
They do not tuck in as much as the block huggers. If you look down between the center exhaust ports can you see all the way to the ground? If so they would work.

#6 ·
Just about any header can be made to fit under the hood of the 2nd gen RX7, it really depends on where you place the engine...there is plenty of room for exhaust in these cars because of the setback of the stock engine.

I would mock up your engine in the chassis before you buy exhaust headers and try and get it as far back as possible (I know the trans dictates a lot of it). The car is more of a mid engine car than front engine since the front spark plugs are behind the front axle. Anything can be made to fit and a full length header will actually be easier to make fit than a block hugger style since your moving all the tubes under the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.