Excessive engine angle? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2011, 06:53 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Excessive engine angle?

A few years ago I swapped an LT1 and 4L60 into my '82 malibu. Then, having a hankering for a clutch, I found an LT4 with 6 speed from a 96 Vette with my name all over it. Once I got into the swap it became apparent that I needed to cut the trans tunnel out to fit the transmission. I reached the point where I had cut out as much as I could without cutting the stiffener that runs across the floor pan to raise the tail shaft of the tranny. As it turns out, that put the engine at a 5 degree down angle which is fine, but the crank bore, and thus the output shaft of the trans points directly at the diffentntial yoke. With adjustable upper control arms, the drivetrain is just about perfectly in line. Assuming that I need about a 3 degree angle in the u-joints and the crankshaft and pinion shaft need to be parallel, the only way I have to offset the crankshaft and pinion is to lower the tailshaft of the trans. If I set the engine to get 3 degrees to the the driveshaft the engine will be sitting in the frame at 8 degrees. Carburetion is not an issue because it's injected but are there any other problems that I would create. Lubrication of the trans and windage in the engine come to mind.

Any thoughts?
Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2011, 07:40 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

I would ignore the shaft angles and check the joints more often. Having zero angle isn't ideal but axle movement will help some and I don't of any gear head that wouldn't be under there for something anyway so when you are, just hit em with a little grease. If you were looking for 150,000 mile reliability then you probably shoulda left it alone!
Old 02-08-2011, 09:19 PM

jgrass1
According to you, I've got two things going against me.
It had 150,000 on it when I got it as a true grocerygetter and I am a gearhead
I guess if all of the tranny lube comes out, it's too much.
Thanks for the reply.
Grogetter
Old 02-08-2011, 09:36 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Can you get someone to weld in a piece to raise the brace arch an inch or so, or maybe weld another cross brace/stiffener further back?
Old 02-09-2011, 06:12 PM

Thanks, Nova.
I could do it. It just that it would be a royal PITA. I'd have to completely remove the tunnel I built and installed for the swap and go through the whole process again. After I did the swap, I built a custom console and would have to mod or rebuild it too.
Last weekend, I modified the trans cross memeber to be able to lower the tail shaft in hopes of being able to get all the angles right then struggled with a plumb-bob type angle finder that isn't accurate. It had an error that kept throwing me off by about 2 degrees. -)(*&^%$^&**(^%*&)
I bought a Harbor Freight digital angle finder today. It's not dead on but neither am I. Tomorrow evening, I'll try to adjust the trans mount and rear end control arms to get the trans and pinion shaft parallel and the drive shaft angles to 2-3 degrees.
Wish me luck and I'll post the results.
Between this issue and the rear disc mod, the car hasn't been off the jackstands for a couple of months and I'm itching to drive it.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.