Excessive oil consumption (sbc)? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2012, 09:16 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseFink View Post
You apparently have never used a bore light to fit the rings in the cylinders.

For winning racing engines, after the cylinders are finish honed with a block plate, then the rings should be select fitted using a bore light as they come out of the box. The ones that do not pass inspection in the bore should be put on the shelf and used later in daily driver engines. .

So what does that have to do with file fitting rings making them egg shaped?

BTW I've built plenty of winning race engines so lay off that BS

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2012, 10:10 AM

Filing the end gaps of the top ring has everything to do with egg shaping the ring by opening the end gap, especially with low tension 1/16" (or 1.2mm) rings. Rings should fit the bore perfectly round!

Some ring manufacturers tried to address the problem when they introduced "gap-less" top rings. However, low tension and gap-less rings will experience ring flutter at higher RPM and substantial power loss especially when accompanied by standard tension second rings. In order to avoid ring flutter, some racing engine builders use 2-ring pistons. That is gas ported pistons with low tension compression rings and a standard oil scraper rings.

Filing the ring ends reduces radial tension and move the ring away from the cylinder wall. That has been known for decades. The pistons that use low tension rings should have gas ports in the top ring land.

For a so called "racing engine builder"...you don't know very much. Probably claimer engines.

Last edited by MouseFink; 10-29-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2012, 10:26 AM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:

I build alot of championship engines and I think your blowing smoke, Ring manufactures are not that stupid and your not that smart, My leak down tests are under under 1.5% and have not had zero blowby issues. And 35 plus years building engines I think you are full of shyyt dreaming this stuff up

The guys at Total Seal I am sure can educate you on rings and how they work.

I don't build claimer engines, But build alot of Circle track eingines along with street and strip plus I have some winning blower engines. I machine all my blocks with a HAAS 4-axis CNC machining center and blue print block for a living and also build performance engines.

Here is a little bit of what we do.Blue Printing A Block - Chevelle Tech

Whats your claim to fame ?????????
Old 10-29-2012, 10:45 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseFink View Post
For a so called "racing engine builder"...you don't know very much. Probably claimer engines.
That's some funny stuff right there.

After reading some of your posts I'm sure even claimer engines are beyond your abilities.

So Mr. Genius what ring package do you run on your Stock Eliminator engines?
Old 10-29-2012, 01:57 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJM97Z View Post
This is a fairly fresh .030" 406, there is no blow-by, plugs are good & clean, no leaks, but it'll go through about a quart in 150 miles, I'm running baffled VCs with PCV on one & a breather on the other, any ideas?
LJM97Z,
Do you see any blow-by from the valve cover pcv valve hole with the pcv valve removed from the valve cover, the valve removed from the hose, and the hose plugged on a warmed-up/hot engine?
What type of baffles are in the cover? Stock or aftermarket?
Is the pcv valve sticking open?
If there is still no blow-by with the valve out of the cover, and no leaks, the oil must be getting into the cylinders,and burned IMO.
I would suspect the bottom of the intake gasket is not sealing correctly, and sucking oil onto the head ports(been there), especially if the block/heads have been decked.(head ports will be lower that intake ports)
There should be some blow-by even if only just a small amount if the engine is hot(especially with the pcv valve removed to be certain that its not sucking out the blow-by). If theres no blow-by that would re-enforce the suspicion that the intake gasket is sucking in some of the blow-by as well as oil. Just my opinion.
If the block was decked, some would say to mill the intake the appropriate amount,(can find specs on internet) others say to mill the head intake mating surface so that the intake can be used on another stock deck engine.
For those interested:
"The MAHLE Motorsports Power Pak kit is our high volume shelf stock program developed for high performance enthusiasts and sportsman class racers. The Power Pak pistons are predominately made from 4032 aluminum alloy to allow for tighter cylinder to wall clearances, and improved temperature stability. Some applications require 2618 alloy including the Power Pak Plus category. Each kit is complete with a set of high performance rings, containing a low drag 1.5mm, 1.5mm, 3.0mm set or 1/16, 1/16, 3/16 high performance Ring Pak standard with big block kits."
I bought a set for a 383 sbc w/6" rods(pn SBC125040F05) and they don't need an oil ring support rail as the pin hole doesn't intersect the ring groove. They came with a set of "File to Fit", "Standard Tension"(not to be confused with low drag), 1.5mm rings, and spec'ed for 0.0025"min.-0.0033max. piston to bore clearance.
ssmonty
Old 10-29-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmonty View Post
LJM97Z,
Do you see any blow-by from the valve cover pcv valve hole with the pcv valve removed from the valve cover, the valve removed from the hose, and the hose plugged on a warmed-up/hot engine?
What type of baffles are in the cover? Stock or aftermarket?
Is the pcv valve sticking open?
If there is still no blow-by with the valve out of the cover, and no leaks, the oil must be getting into the cylinders,and burned IMO.
I would suspect the bottom of the intake gasket is not sealing correctly, and sucking oil onto the head ports(been there), especially if the block/heads have been decked.(head ports will be lower that intake ports)
There should be some blow-by even if only just a small amount if the engine is hot(especially with the pcv valve removed to be certain that its not sucking out the blow-by). If theres no blow-by that would re-enforce the suspicion that the intake gasket is sucking in some of the blow-by as well as oil. Just
my opinion.
If the block was decked, some would say to mill the intake the appropriate amount,(can find specs on internet) others say to mill the head intake mating surface so that the intake can be used on another stock deck engine.
For those interested:
"The MAHLE Motorsports Power Pak kit is our high volume shelf stock program developed for high performance enthusiasts and sportsman class racers. The Power Pak pistons are predominately made from 4032 aluminum alloy to allow for tighter cylinder to wall clearances, and improved
temperature stability. Some applications require 2618 alloy including the Power Pak Plus category. Each kit is complete with a set of high performance rings, containing a low drag 1.5mm, 1.5mm, 3.0mm set or 1/16, 1/16, 3/16 high performance Ring Pak standard with big block kits."
I bought a set for a 383 sbc w/6" rods(pn SBC125040F05) and they don't need an oil ring support rail as the pin hole doesn't intersect the ring groove. They came with a set of "File to Fit", "Standard Tension"(not to be confused with low drag), 1.5mm rings, and spec'ed for 0.0025"min.-0.0033max. piston to bore clearance.

ssmonty
ssmonty, thanks for the advice, yeah it does seem that there is virtually NO blow-by coming from the breather or PCV, there aftermarket VCs with baffles, I've been chasing this damn intake mating problem, looks to me the intake gasket doesn't line up properly in some areas, its a fel-pro with the im-bossed intake rings, Now, on this engine, it was just bored, the block wasn't decked, the heads weren't milled, the intake lines up nicely, its never been messed with, Thats why i'm blaming it on the gaskets, If i could find a good sealent to run around the intake runners of the gasket, this may cure the problem, maybe!
Old 10-30-2012, 08:28 AM

Last photo:

If you have low tension oil rings on a street driven engine that runs a high cruise vacuum, you will have to replace them.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:49 AM

Don't have low tention rings, there just your standard cast hastings, nothing fancy.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.