Exclusive parts for Vortec heads - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2003, 04:46 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Exclusive parts for Vortec heads

Hi all, I am some-what of a newbie to the world of automotive mechanics. I have always been fascinated by the physics of matter and more importantly, mechanics of systems of matter! I am 16 living out of VA BCH, VA. I come to you all needing help with a project I am combatting. My father (an old gear-head from the ladder portions of the automotive timeline) has decided his son shouldn't have to drive any little rice burner 4 or 6 banger so he challenged me to build myself a camaro with a 350. So here I am, with my very own thirdgen F-body (previously enlcosed a V8, but of smaller cubic inches, 302 sound right?) and no engine.

What I plan to do is buy a used 350 short or long block (post 86/87) and build it up with new heads, some sort of (I believe the term is radical?-denoting that lovely muscle car sound that the high school quarter-back has coming from his car in the movies ) cam, intake, carb, etc.

I am shunning away from the EFI as that seems to be more expensive, and I do not have the hardware to flash my own ECMs, so tuning might be a challenge (financially).

I was considering the Al Vortec heads since they seem to be performance oriented and economical for the street racer. Now, this is where my intuition fails as the market is everchanging. Other than the intake and center bolt valve covers, what parts would I need to buy that are exclusive to the vortec style heads.

I am a newbie yes, but I have several years experience with smaller engines, including those running on gasoline, nitromethane, and LP fuel. Obviously, they are in little comparison to the automotive engine other than basic mechanics of an internal combustion engine, but I am to an acute degree mechanically inclined and have experience with custom fab on CNC maching centers (friend happens to work at the Norfolk Naval Shipyard, and yes, they do have one of the largest lathes in the world)

I would like to keep the price of the heads under 6-700 dollars, so please do not suggest Edlebrock heads or any other high performance options exceeding that parameter.

Michael Gray

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2003, 06:38 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

other than the center bolt valve covers and intake, you should only need self guideing rocker arms, everything else pretty much is a bolt on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.