Excursion project - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2010, 01:18 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Excursion project

Let me start off by saying i've never painted a whole car. The most i've done is a couple touch ups when I was in high school. I paint steel so I have a pretty good idea "how" to do it and the tools (compressor,sprayers,da, no booth). I'll try to learn as much as I can by trial and error.

I have a 2000 Excursion that isn't really in bad shape. It's Arizona Beige but I believe it was Maacod right before I bought it. The paint is flaking badly on the underside of the wheel wells. There are a couple really dull spots in the paint under the rear windows. Kinda like they were touched up and it didn't take. My plan for now is to two tone it like ford did on the later years from the factory. Maybe something in a dark green. I'm going to use filler to level up the paint chips and sand it from there. I would like to avoid thick paint lines from the tape. I've read good 3m tape will help with that. I've never really masked anything.

What I know nothing about is paint. Everything in our shop get's Sherwin Williams primer and paint. I really don't want to base/ clear it. I have next to nothing invested in this truck and i'll be painting in a dusty shop so I plan on a little sanding. There are a few online stores that sell kits for around 70.00. Is it worth it to save a few bucks or should I just go to the local paint shop ? Please keep in mind i'm not cheap but this truck has 235,000 miles on it.

Any input on this will be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2010, 08:33 AM

look at kirker single stage. I would only single stage if its NOT a metallic color. Also I would blow the area that is peeling with compress air to blow any paint off that isnt sticking.

A other idea would to prep it and have someone else paint it with a botth and more experience

good luck
Old 05-06-2010, 01:39 PM

I have blown the areas down with air and sanded the edges as much as possible. I'm starting to fill in the low spots now. I'll take a look at Kirker SS. I'd really like to do this project myself. I'm one of those guys who hates to have something done at a shop when I could do it and learn in the process. I'm thinking a dark green would match well with the beige.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:45 PM

Last journal entry: 54
Last photo:

There's not anything much BIGGER to learn on!! Are you painting the top part or the bottom part? And as far as thick tape edges, that is based off of HOW MUCH paint you spray not tape you use. Clean, crisp edges is from the QUALITY of the tape.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underground
There's not anything much BIGGER to learn on!! Are you painting the top part or the bottom part? And as far as thick tape edges, that is based off of HOW MUCH paint you spray not tape you use. Clean, crisp edges is from the QUALITY of the tape.
It's a monster. I'm not painting the top part. What i'm trying to avoid is the big thick paint lip between the two sections. I'm sure it would look better if I was clearing over it. The only real issues with this truck are the fender wells and the door bottoms. There are a couple light spots under the windows but I need to learn how to blend repairs later.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.