Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - exhaust
Thread: exhaust
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2011, 09:53 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I don`t blame you for not wanting to sound like that clip does, that`s all the punks around here have and none of us can stand it. Yet, when I tell them I`ll blow there doors off with my quiet 4.3 V6 they laugh. They believe a loud exhaust means power. I like Thrush Turbo mufflers, they have a nice deep tone that`s mild, but sound off nicely at wide open throttle.
Not too long ago, we did some exhaust work on my best friends cutlass that has a Vortec 350. It had true duals with flowmasters and a set of black jack headers. The black jacks just came off in favor of Hooker super Comp jet hot coated headers. This quieted it down alot, he was really surprised. Next we took it out of town and had a X pipe installed, which made it get even more quiet. Now you can`t tell it`s even a muscle car, since the exhaust note is so quiet. It still lopes at idle so that`s some what of a give away, but it sounds like a stock exhaust system, it doesn`t sound off like flowmasters until you get over 4000 RPM. I started out with Turbo Mufflers, then later I went to flowmasters, then I went back to Turbos and that`s what I plan to use for the rest of my life. When they exit under the car with no tail pipes, the echo chamber effect makes them sound so deep and mean. Even so I don`t do this anymore, I would on a race or mud vehicle. I don`t recommend anyone else do it either unless they are absolutely sure the exhaust gasses aren`t getting in to the driver compartment.