Hot Rod Forum banner

exhaust

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  75gmck25 
#1 ·
ok i have a 1990 chevy truck with a 350 i am building an exhaust for it every chevy guy knows the distinct sound an old chevy makes i would like my truck to have a little more roar than that distinct cackle i need to know what type of cats to use or if i could use a different size tubing to create this low roar sound i want

#2 ·
If you have to run cats get the high flow jobs from summit racing. That`ll set you back about $220. If you don`t have to run cat`s I wouldn`t.
Go to YouTube and type in exhaust sound clips. You`ll get to pick from thousands running Turbo mufflers, Glass packs, flow masters, borlas, Hookers, Edelbrocks, flow tech, Gibsons, Heart throbs, straight pipes, etc.
There are alot of chevy truck sound clips on there as well.

#6 ·
The Walker Quiet flo are good. Free flowing very strong idle sounds. When you get on it is like factory level with bonus performance. Have alot of idle character. They get the old man seal of approval. True dual 2 1/4 s with no fancy H crossover is all.

The Dynomax super turbos are a bit loud at times. Although claiming a very sound conscious muffler, they are loud and flow expectedly well. Say , louder the faster.

#7 ·
I don`t blame you for not wanting to sound like that clip does, that`s all the punks around here have and none of us can stand it. Yet, when I tell them I`ll blow there doors off with my quiet 4.3 V6 they laugh. They believe a loud exhaust means power. I like Thrush Turbo mufflers, they have a nice deep tone that`s mild, but sound off nicely at wide open throttle.
Not too long ago, we did some exhaust work on my best friends cutlass that has a Vortec 350. It had true duals with flowmasters and a set of black jack headers. The black jacks just came off in favor of Hooker super Comp jet hot coated headers. This quieted it down alot, he was really surprised. Next we took it out of town and had a X pipe installed, which made it get even more quiet. Now you can`t tell it`s even a muscle car, since the exhaust note is so quiet. It still lopes at idle so that`s some what of a give away, but it sounds like a stock exhaust system, it doesn`t sound off like flowmasters until you get over 4000 RPM. I started out with Turbo Mufflers, then later I went to flowmasters, then I went back to Turbos and that`s what I plan to use for the rest of my life. When they exit under the car with no tail pipes, the echo chamber effect makes them sound so deep and mean. Even so I don`t do this anymore, I would on a race or mud vehicle. I don`t recommend anyone else do it either unless they are absolutely sure the exhaust gasses aren`t getting in to the driver compartment.

#10 ·
If you want the lower tone you might want to use an H pipe instead of an X pipe. For equivalent mufflers the X usually give it a higher, raspier sound than the H pipe. The H provides a deeper muscle car tone. The X pipe usually has a slight performance advantage at high RPM, but I doubt it would be noticeable in normal driving.

Bruce

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.