exhaust - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2005, 12:39 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

exhaust

I am getting ready to get an exhast system installed on my camaro, but i have to few questions. I am going looking for my headers, mufflers and other stuff so all the shop has to do is weld it all together. Is there any difference performance wise in long tube headers and short ones? What would be good mufflers that aren't expensive, but sound good and also flow good? I am thinking about dumping my exhaust right before the rear end in order to save some major bucks. What would be some pros and cons of dumping before rear end instead of going behind rear tire like from factory?

Eric

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2005, 02:16 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Dumping in front of the axle is going to be noisier.........You may gain a little performance wise.

Budget RVs
Old 04-01-2005, 02:41 PM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

Agree with Poncho, definitely noisier. I don't know if any noticeable power is gained. Also, I think it looks tacky.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:48 PM

I guess it being tacky is your opinion, but 400 dollars to go over my axle and exit in stock location. I think I will be a lil tacky for a while. What are some good mufflers for a considerable price? Will someone tell me about the short and long tube headers.

Eric
Old 04-01-2005, 02:54 PM
Member# 3287

Last photo:

Yes, my opinion. Anyway, $400 to extend to the rear sounds outrageous. Maybe some others can chime in, but I just had a custom 2 1/2" exhaust built from the short length headers to behind the rear tires for $300, and that included the Dynomax Turbos. Think I'd shop around some more.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:09 PM

That was the best price I could find, the last place I checked wanted 550 to run from the headers to the stock location. They said the problem is the lack of room I have under my car. This price is with me supplying the mufflers and tips.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:17 PM
Member# 3287

Last photo:

Can you try somebody like Summit, Jeg's, etc. They sometimes have complete systems that include clamps, hangers, etc.

I just checked my latest Jeg's flier and they have 2 1/2", mandrel bent, aluminized kits for the '67-'81 Camaro for $180.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:35 PM
Last photo:

I had an exhaust system installed on my 34. It went from the shorty block hugger headers to Dynamax Hemi truck mufflers via 2.25" aluminized pipe to mandrel bend fittings over the rear axle out the back ending in stainless steel outlets for $375 at the local Meineke.

Vince
Old 04-01-2005, 04:46 PM
489 Lemans

Last journal entry: Street Legal
Last photo:

don't know your laws

I put two Raptors with 9" pipe to my collectors. Then connected two downspouts to the end of the mufflers. Made my own hangers. Cost me 50 bucks.

I had Midas do a complete dual exhaust for my Vette in stock location for 400 dollars. They supplied all the parts.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:53 PM

I'd definatly shop around. $400 bucks sounds aweful high. I only paid $280. to get 3 1/2 exhausts all the way back with Flow Pro mufflers # 1/2 in 4' out.
Are there any Majik Mufflers Services in your area?
Old 04-01-2005, 04:55 PM

Do you have emissions inspections in your area? Its something you have to take into consideration when doing exhaust.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:12 PM

Meineke is the one who wanted to charge me 550. No there aren't any exhaust regulations here in Ga. The last place that i went to said they would charge me about 125-175 to do it to the front of the axle. Thats with me supplying the mufflers and tips. Does that sound reasonable?
Old 04-01-2005, 08:42 PM

Is this a third gen 82-92 camaro were talkin about? If it is go with the short tube headers and a 3 inch performance catback single exhaust like one from flow master or hooker that installs in the stock location. The long tube headers with true duals aren't worth the hassle unless your makin some serious HP. Like in the 450 plus zone. I run hooker long tubes on my 91RS with true dual nascar oval tube pipes and custom spintech mufflers with 3 inch thick cases. Granted my car is lowered one inch with eibach springs, but even with slim mufflers and the oval pipes my exhaust still scraps when I hit just hit a dip in the road and are a real pain in the *** on steep driveways and forget about speed bumps and pot holes. Before ya say it my exhaust is tucked as tight as it can be without bolting the dam thing directly against my floorboards. The only reason I tolerate them is my engine makes 500 plus at the flywheel and I race it more than I street drive it. Trust me you'll be much happier and it will be much cheaper. If ya want more flow install an electric cut out just after the Y pipe. Alot of guys I race with use them and they work great. Just my opinion.

Doc

Last edited by Docs91RS; 04-01-2005 at 09:01 PM.
Old 04-02-2005, 05:28 PM

no my camaro is a second gen. 79
Old 04-02-2005, 05:39 PM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last journal entry: Headers
Last photo:

Good God,that is a rapeing on the prices there.It should not cost them but a few minutes to put a piece of tube in the bender to make the pipes for going over the axle.Most Camaros had a single port exhaust that Y-piped out and had two exhaust pipes coming out from the rear so that would mean you have the hangers there already. Summit makes a good muffler, it is inexpensive and it sounds good also. My ElCamino has them under it. The exhaust exiting in front of the rear axle,will get old quick,plus it is not really safe. If you are driving this car on a daily basis and that is the route you take,climb underneath your car and make damn sure that your floor pans are not rotting away.If there is any rust holes,or cracks in your floor pan,exhaust fumes will find them and get inside your "cockpit"

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.