Exhaust Clearance - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2008, 03:48 PM
Avoid the Gremlins.

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Exhaust Clearance

Ground clearance, a pain in my

So my nova is up and running great, however if I pull into my garage I rip off my glass packs, pull the pipe out of the headers. Garage has an incline you go up, then in.

I can't raise the exhaust, I don't really want to raise the car, except maybe the rear a bit, but not enough to fix this issue. I have about 2 3/4 to 3" of room between my exhaust and the ground.

My glass packs sit about right under the back seat. I'm sure this is where the problem lays. The front of the car levels off in the garage, the rear is sitting lower coming in, and crunch time to go pick my glass packs up again.

So I have two options.

#1, run them longer, so the thick meaty packs are in the rear. I have a councour axel (the infamous one that you can't raise with blocks) so some custom pipe bending would be required. I don't' want to go through that trouble because I'd run open headers if I could, and I don't like the idea of exhaust pipe being by my gas tank, the original reason I remove it and re ran it the way I did.

2. Since the pipes are hitting in the middle of the car, I could bring them up. Cut off the exhaust and make it even shorter. High and tight to say the least. I hate to that because if they still hit then I have cut all my exhaust pipe into to short little pieces.

So thought I'd throw this out, and see what ideas are floating around. (I know, I know don't go into the garage.)

I suppose I could shackle the rear up five inches and see what that does.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2008, 07:40 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

How about shimming up the driveway so the rear wheels come up a little on a sort of bump as the muffler clearance decreases? I would think 2 or 3 8ft 2x4's spaced apart 3 or 4 inches and fixed in place with some concrete lugs would do it.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:15 PM
Avoid the Gremlins.

Last photo:

Acutally I went out and got a bag of concrete. But my work the lot is worse and I don't think they'll let me level it out for them ha ha. I'd like to.

While I was out I bought some shackles. Mine are old, leaning in a little bit on both sides so it is time to replace them anyway. Got some about twice as long as mine with adjustable holes for the leaf. So I'll mount the rear a little higher and if I having any of that ugly hang over thats when I cut it off.

Can't wait to feel it ride like a lumber wagon. I have heavy duty leafs, with overload springs on the rear already.

I also picked up spring boosters for the front coils. I don't want to raise it too high. I see too many of those ing caprices and such rolling around my neighborhood about three foot off the ground with huge low profile tires and tinted windows on them going "boom boom boom" as they drive by.

So I might raise my front a 1 -1 1/2"s and counter the raise in the looks dept by jacking the rear up 3" or so. I should have good clearnace then and not look like I'm trying to turn the nova into a monster truck. I don't think it will take away from it's looks. (especally since I haven't done any body work or painting yet on this one.)

So we will see. Good idea on the 2X4s though I might use that until I get the nova lifted a bit.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:57 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

I have a '68 Nova, my header collector is very low but clears the garage lip. I was able to run my exhaust pipe to just behind the front seat, there's a recess there, I tucked Borlas up close to the floor pan in that recess, ran the tail pipes parallel to the drive line and dumped them to the sides, 3" exhaust. I had clearance issues too, this helped tremendously, and quieted it down in the interior somewhat. The Borlas are only 17", sure your glass packs are longer, but you should be able to design something similar.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 04-07-2008, 09:02 PM
Avoid the Gremlins.

Last photo:

Not a bad idea, I'll have to check and see how th recess runs under my car, and do some measuring . . . my glass packs are 24" so not bad to work with. I'll peek around when I lift it a bit and see what I can get.

I should put it up a bit and get those headers a bit farther from the ground.

Thanks for the info!
Old 04-07-2008, 10:11 PM
turbo lag......yeeeeehaaaaaaw

Last photo:

On my nova the subframe is only 4" from the ground and the cutout is only 3". Im running an x-pipe and the super 44's that are 5" thick and they dont hit the ground at all. There is a recess under the rear seat that they tuck in very nicely . The exhaust turns down right in front of the rear end. There are some bends in it to follow the floor closely. If its not busy tomarrow at work I'll put it on the lift and take some pictures.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:51 AM
Avoid the Gremlins.

Last photo:

Sounds good, I haven't had a chance to climb under it, looking like a weekend project with project and rain this week.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:13 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

These pictures show what I was talking about, 1969NovaSS mentioned a similar arrangement, when he posts pictures, you'll have some ideas to work off of.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P2060049.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	282.3 KB
ID:	29132   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2060050.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	286.4 KB
ID:	29133   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2060054.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	270.7 KB
ID:	29134  

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association

Last edited by 68NovaSS; 04-08-2008 at 02:21 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:56 AM
Avoid the Gremlins.

Last photo:

Thanks for the pics.

Not sure if under my car is quite the same. I also have a problems with the headers, I'd cave to curve the pipe up from the headers because they sit lower. I was thinking of raising the motor before I put it in, but then I'd have hood clearance issues. But I may call in from work and go take a look, I think I got food poisoning from bad pizza last night.

Again thanks for the pics I'll go out and see if I can run something similar.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:01 PM
Avoid the Gremlins.

Last photo:

With my headers I will have to run the exhaust up then out, however I am only able to gain about a 1/2 inch this way, and my headers will still be low.. So I'm debating on that.

I put new shackels on the back, old ones were worse that I thought. So I gained about three inches of clearance on the rear. I have coil spacers to put in the front, so I am expecting about an inch gain from that they claim 1 1/2". Hopefully that puts my headers about 4" up from 2, 2 1/2" with the rear and front lift.

Down side is my rear 14" tires look a bit funny with the new rear well clearance, and I had to loss the worthless shocks. I don't know why they ever decided to run shocks with leafs on the squatting concours. You can replace them about every month from the leafs pulling the car down, so took mine off and I could push them all the way in, about five hours later they may have extended back out. I have found two pair that will fit, some that look like they come off a ten speed, and thick blacks one that don't quite clear the leafs so they get a lovley flattened side.

But that is off topic, once I get the front lifts in I'll take some under car pics to show clearance, and possibly to get suggestions on exhaust positioning. What a fun day, started out with a case of mild food poisoning, ended with my rear lifted.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:48 PM
Avoid the Gremlins.

Last photo:

Got the lifts on the whole way around, probably about 4-5" if not more of clearance now. I took some pics and placed them in my gallery showing the clearance, and how my headers come down. Have't test drove it, raining and didn't want to go hunting for glasspacks in the dark while raining. I will shoot for a test drive a little later, if the garage don't get them I think I'll be fine.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:53 PM
turbo lag......yeeeeehaaaaaaw

Last photo:

sorry I wasn't able to get pictures. I thought you had a 68-74 body style so I don't know if those had the cutout in the floor pan to fit those. its good you fixed the problem without making a 4x4 out of your car .
Old 04-21-2008, 11:57 PM

Last photo:

Those 24" 'packs will not fit in that cutout under the back seat without folding them in half. The cutouts are quite similar between the '69 and the later Nova. The '68-'79 Novas came with the stock muffler (single or dual exhaust) crossways behind the axle, in front of the gas tank. Is there enough room in that position for your two glasspacks to fit stacked one above the other?
Old 04-22-2008, 12:36 PM
Avoid the Gremlins.

Last photo:

yep y pipe headers that conntected right behind the tranny pan and then ran back up over the axel to "fake" dual exhaust muffler. I ridded that trash and put straight pipe with glass packs. Honestly with my car raised I got about five inches been driving it all over no real problems, I scraped one time, but it was a big dip and I was crusing pretty fast, so I think the clearance is ok, my garage isn't eating anymore and if it survives that incline and lip I'm confident on any decent road I'll be fine. I could rune them over the axel and them beside the gas tank and out the back, but I don't like exhaust by the tank so I'll stick with them ending at the back seat range (I just got to put elbows on them to blow the exhaust out from under the car) . . . one day. Thanks for the idea though.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.