Hot Rod Forum banner

exhaust flame throwers

36K views 33 replies 19 participants last post by  karskustoms 
#1 ·
hi people, first let me introduce myself, my name is yan and i live in canada, and im addicted to cars ! my next will be a mach 1, but for now i want to install a flamethrower kit on the gto, i search around the web since many weeks now, its almost more complicated than it seems, all kits are basic, so you need to rev the engine kill it to allow gas and air to flmae into the tailpipes, but of course you wash your engine with fuel!!!! so im thinking of injecting fuel into the exhaust (about 1foot before the spark plug) with an electronic fuel injector or a cold start valve, but it will only inject fuel....no air at all only fuel and emissions gases so my bet is it will not flame because the mixture wont be good, anyone already done experimentation with it before, because i dont want to damage the engine in ANY case and injection is not a problem but i dont know if i can flame this way

any advices ??

#7 ·
lots of stuff on the net if your interested... i have seen setups for propane injection and even gasoline injection. got to remember tho that you are literaly playing with explosives... a few old timers have told me their experiances with em, and they included mufflers that blew open. also the kits that inject fuel are better. anything that requires you to turn the ignition system off is not good for your rings, also the fuel gets in your oil... or so i am told, anyways i never done it. but have thought about installing it in my truck not for looks, but to stop people from tailgating me.. :D

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
Mate, I've set up a fuel injector 150mm from my exhaust outlet but injecting alcohol into a second pipe installed over the actual exhaust. Result ? A nice, coned, deep red and blue flame with a sweet roaring sound and the lovely smell of alcohol that makes everybody think I'm running a completely mad engine ! Advantages ? Totaly isolated from the fuel system, reassuringly safe, easy to dismantle if needed, no ignition cutting so no risk of hydraulic surges in the engine... Perfect ! The second pipe system allows the small amount of oxygen alcohol needs to burn and it looks better than ANY I've seen on the streets... Try some experiments, nice stuff sometimes happens.

YES..we have a filter for profanity.

Using this kind of language in your FIRST post ( or any post ) is not encouraging. I edited it out.

Please refrain from the profanity........

Deuce ...General Rodding Tech Moderator........

:nono:

#11 ·
Go here , snake eater 98 or someone else will be able to answer any questions you might have. also take a look at these, the first is for the ignition and the second for injection
(also gotta throw out that i'm not responsible if you blow something or someone up:thumbup: )

Attachments

#12 ·
injection

Attachments

#14 ·
you might want to ask 98 snake eater on the flame thrower forum before you do that but I doubt he'll have a problem with it

#17 ·
I have a setup exactly like your describing on my pickup. I made an extension for the exhaust that reaches out another foot or so because my exhaust exits in front of the rear tire. I have a fuel injector out of a Chrysler mini van. It seems around 35-40 psi makes a good mist. The injector is about 6 inches upstream from the spark plug(s). I still havn't gotten mine working, I think because it is a diesel truck and the exhaust is acting as a shielding gas. I've tried putting a hole upstream to draw in air, I even angled it so it would draw better, but the exhaust just blows out the hole. So, my new plan is to the a 1/2 or larger air solenoid for train style air horns and put that up stream of the injector. For the ignition box I connected a points style distributor to a electric heater blower motor and installed it all in an old tool box that is tucked up under the bed of the truck. When I turn it on it sounds like an old machine gun. Hope to blow some big flames. Try to be safe.

Gary

#18 ·
on two episodes from monster garage they put flame throwers on the exhaust.
on the Mustang/lawn mower they put 2 propane tanks (the ones used as a propane torch to solder copper tubing) and they injected propane near the tail pipe, it made a nice blue flame, very cool.
on the other episode they did it on a T-bucket/snowmobile(i think) but they injected gasoline through a nitrous oxide injector and a spark plug. it made a HUGE yellow flame.

#21 ·
I had no idea 98 snake eater was on this site!

I use one of his set up's on my elky. I actually sold one to somebody who wanted on real bad to put on a Trans Am.

I have yet to do the injected set up but I have gone on different endeavors than lobbing a fireball... but they still get used a bit.

FWIW, my flames can be seen here, keep in mind the car was insanely rich at that moment.Flamethrower Video

#23 ·
Four questions on the above designs:

1. Is it for safety's sake that there are two fuel solenoids?
2. Am I correct in assuming that this system works totally independent from the car's inginition system apart from getting fuel from the car's system?
3. Does it throw flames for as long as you hold the button?
4. Does the length of the flames depend on how high the car's rpm is at that point (exhaust gas velocity)?

Cool video '1982 SS'. I think it looks so much meaner with the side exiting pipes.

#24 ·
That set-up on my El Camino is the ignition killing type. I have not had time to make the injection type. The reason for the ignition killing is because I already had it wired up that way from the first flamethrower I killed. Yes the two solenoids are for safety sake. I would imagine that velocity does play a role in flame length.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.