Exhaust Glass Packs - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2005, 12:28 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Glasspacks with a big cam sounds like crap. My friends duster with packs on it and a 509 cam sounds like a cowboys pickup truck. its semi cool at idle, but at 2K rpm, it just gets LOUD, everytime I drive that car I have to look around to see if there are cops, they'd think I was screwing around when I"m just driving.

Glasspacks are just great on a stockish type vehicle, they make it sound tough when there is really nothing tough about it. It's all about how you set the exhaust up. Glasspacks rule.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2005, 07:57 PM

Last photo:

Anybody ever heard glasspacks with an X-pipe?
Old 01-09-2008, 08:57 PM

Glass Packs

The thing about glass packs is if you want a loud more aggressive sound you will want a glass pack, If u want a deep aggressive sound you would go with a 40 series Flowmaster, and if you want something that will be deep yet mellow u will want to install magnaflow. If you have put any type of these mufflers on your vehicle and you don't like the sound because it isn't loud enouph, which i see alot of this with the newer ford F 150's they have 4 catalitic converters which are used for emmisions control you can always run with just 2 or if you put in a Y pipe u can go with just 1. But keep in mind ur Check Engine Light might come on to fix that you put ur favorite sticker on there where you can't see it anymore. I hope all of this has been helpful. I owned a 1989 Lincoln Town Car with true dual 18inch glass packs and 2 converters and that son of a !@#$% was very loud.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:22 PM

Last journal entry: a good used 350 we installed
Last photo:

my choice for my 74 nova ss was flowmaster race mufflers they are small compact
deep throaty sounding mufflers it has a mild 350 and these mufflers give the sound i was after and they are almost as loud as a glasspack when you romp on it just not white trash.speaking of white trash i have some long glass packs on my elky cause to me this car screams white trash and the sound fits
Old 01-10-2008, 09:44 AM

Last photo:

No one has mentioned that the old style glass packs actually flow less than most stock oem mufflers. These old gasket packs just make noise. The old style glass pack use bumps on the walls of the tube to make tubulence to muffle sound which doesn't muffle sound very well but make a huge restriction.

The new style glass packs flow almost like a straight though pipe. The new style use a perforated tube (lots of small holes) on the inner walls. Dynomax makes a good one. I like them for resonators or for a little extra sound control before or after the main muffler.

FlowMasters flow fairly well but not as good as a Dynomax Super Turbo which makes about 10 times less exhaust noise (almost oem quiet). The sign of a good muffler is it's flow to noise ratio which makes a flowmaster a low quality muffler. Hooker Aero-chambers flow really good (50% more than a flow master) and are about 5 times quieter than a flow master.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:46 PM

Last photo:

The only one of my toys with mufflers on it, is flat black, has a gear drive, a four speed, and glass packs. They aren't the best flowing mufflers, but they have that nostalgic hot rod sound. As far as mature hotrodders, isn't that kind of an oxymoron. We're still playing with toy cars, we just don't push them around the kitchen floor anymore. That is unless you have a big kitchen and an understanding wife.

Kevin
Old 01-11-2008, 07:47 PM

Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfulco
Anybody ever heard glasspacks with an X-pipe?
I haven't heard any dual system w/ glass packs with an x pipe but I have with an H pipe we actually did one the other day at the muffler shop that I work at and it takes the ping as some people call it out whenyou are in idle or driving.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:03 PM

glasspack

Most of the older hot rodders like these for the old fashion low rumble. My friends and I are all 17 to 18 and everyone of us have either a thrust glass pack or cherry bomb on our trucks. I drive an 86 Chevy s10 2.8 liter v6 and it gives it a real nice low rawr and the famous pop!
Old 08-03-2008, 08:19 PM
Steel Dreams

Last photo:

glasspack

When I got my first car that I could call my own ,a 49 Ford drop top I could not wait to get a good (read loud!)exhaust system on it . So I did what my buddies did to speed the process up,I bought new glasspacks and took them home and built a big fire in the back yard and poured some used motor oil in the mufflers and put them in the fire for a couple of hours to burn the fiberglass out.After they cooled enough to handle put them on car.Boy to a 17 year old kid those things were the coolest sounding pipes around and to the cops they were the loudest thing around cuz I got two loud muffler tickets the first weekend that they were on the car!! I had them on less than two months I had to put some stock mufflers back on it because I got tired of being stopped by the cops and the hassle over them from my mom.

Kenny

Lost your job yet?
Keep buying foreign.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:07 AM

Last photo:

The problem with flowmasters is they are actually a poor flowing muffler, just have a good marketing dept.I have seen many tests showing a Hooker aerochamber or magna flow mufflers out horse powering them by up to 50 hp on 500 hp engines.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:59 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu73
Hey guys, it's me again with another question regarding glass packs for your exhaust.

I've heard of them before but didn't know what the heck they were or what they did, so I was hoping you guys could educate me here.

Okay here's what I know: They are roundish parts that fit on your exhaust that are filled with fiberglass, you don't run mufflers with them (not sure about this one).

So could you guys fill me in on these things, what they are, what they do etc... Thanks
First off glass packs are mufflers. Quality varies quite a bit. They're an outer tube surrounding and inner pipe that has been perforated to allow the sound waves to expand into the space between the inner and outer tubes. The space between can be empty, but is usually filled fiberglass, years ago they used steel wool. Both these fillers decay with time resulting in a louder exhaust, but that takes a few years and these type mufflers are pretty inexpensive so replacement isn't a back busting issue. They also have an advantage of being quite light.

Back to the inner pipe. The perforations make the difference as to whether the muffler has low or high restriction. High quality glass packs will have the perforations punched in the inner pipe which would start as a flat piece to be rolled into a tube. The perforations usually are contained in the base of a outward facing dimple. This configuration allows energy to easily expand into the space between the tubes without adding anymore resistance to flow than that offered by a straight piece of pipe. Cheap glass packs are made much the same except that the inner pipe starts as a tube and is slash cut with a saw to open the perforations. This process leaves rough exposed edges and burrs that project into the exhaust stream causing resistance to flow. In many cases mufflers made this way have no better flow than a stock muffler.

Glass packs are sold in varying diameters and lengths, this can be used to tune the sound where larger diameters and or longer lengths favor low mellow tones, smaller diameters and or shorter lengths favor higher sharper tones.

So called turbo mufflers are very loud when used on a non turbo engine, they depend upon a turbo being upstream of the muffler to remove much of the sound. If you're putting glass packs or turbo mufflers on an engine with catalytic converters you can expect either to be much quieter as a converter soaks up quite a lot of noise. The exhaust note with converters is also higher and raspier as converters tend to soak up the low frequencies, that glass packs and turbo mufflers usually pass, but now the low tones are gone before the sound even gets to the muffler.

This is the situation with my 350 S-15, having to be a smog legal conversion, it's running dual cats thru dual glass packs with an H pipe just behind the header's collector. It originally had a single 3 inch cat into a 3 inch Flow Master series 80 that emptied from a 3 inch side dump ahead of the right rear tire. This system never worked the way I though it should and was ungodly loud in the cab. The present duals empty out behind, so cab noise is significantly reduced. The engine gets (documented) better fuel economy by almost 4 mpg and has more available power. Plus, even with fuel injection, it raps the pipes like an old fashion rod, which surprised me given the injection and converters.

Bogie
Old 08-04-2008, 06:35 PM

Yeap...muscle car tunes baby!

Back in high school it was the sound of mopars vanishing into the sunset;,,,yeap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippie
I had dual exhaust with Walker Continental glass packs on my stock motor back in 1975 and it sounded really sweet. I bet if I had that car today you'd be drooling all over yourself if you heard it. Of course it was a 1967 GTO with a 400/335HP; TH400 and 3.55 posi.

"Good" glasspacks aren't that loud and have a nice deep, mellow tone but I know the ones you're talking about and couldn't agree more. They sound like somebody farting through a garden hose. All glasspacks are not created equal and good ones are much harder to find than they were 30 years ago but it really doesn't matter what kind of exhaust you run if you don't have anything in front of it.

To be totally honest for my own vehicles I prefer quiet exhaust so you can hear the intake (but don't think for one minute that makes me "mature" and I'll fight anybody that says I am ). The sound of a performance motor with a large cfm 4 bbl., especially a well tuned QuadraJet, at WOT makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up and my heart rate go up. There's nothing quite like the sound of two musclecars paired off just out of sight at dusk on a nice quiet summer night. When I was in high school the two hottest cars in town, a 1970 LS-6, 4 speed, 4.11 posi Chevelle and a 1970 Torino GT Conv. with a 429 Super CJ, 4 speed and 4.10 Detroit Locker, used to go at it about a mile outside of town on a regular basis. All you could hear in town was the wail of 2 Holley 4 bbls. sucking in air and changing pitch with each shift. I haven't heard anything like that in years........

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.