Exhaust Glass Packs - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2005, 11:32 AM
'68 Chevelle Malibu Sedan

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Exhaust Glass Packs

Hey guys, it's me again with another question regarding glass packs for your exhaust.

I've heard of them before but didn't know what the heck they were or what they did, so I was hoping you guys could educate me here.

Okay here's what I know: They are roundish parts that fit on your exhaust that are filled with fiberglass, you don't run mufflers with them (not sure about this one).

So could you guys fill me in on these things, what they are, what they do etc... Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2005, 12:02 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Glass packs are mufflers (sort of), they are usually a straight through housing which makes them louder than a standard muffler and are packed around the inside of the housing with a fiberglass material to "muffle" the exhaust pulses. The packing burns out over time making them even louder. Their primary purpose is to be loud. Hotrodders love 'em, cops hate 'em.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:14 PM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippie
Hotrodders love 'em, cops hate 'em.
Mature hotrodders hate em also.

Vince
Old 05-06-2005, 12:45 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302/Z28

Vince
Sure glad I'm not one of those.............. it must be Hell to be "mature".
Old 05-06-2005, 01:43 PM
Last photo:

I just love the sound of a SBC with a good set of headers and quite low restriction mufflers.

Vince
Old 05-06-2005, 01:57 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I just love the sound of a SBC with a good set of headers and quite low restriction mufflers.

Vince
Nothin' wrong with that either. As long as it has enough cam to make the headers "ting".

I still love the sound of a set of full duals with Walker Continental's or Smitty's.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:27 PM
stuff'n things'n whatnot

Last photo:

Quote:

Vince
Along with blowers, big tires, and burn outs, Whats wrong with some people! with the price of gas we should all be driving fireflys, its better for the environment after all...
Old 05-06-2005, 03:08 PM

Last photo:

I was looking into glasspacks myself...I heard there not that great that cause they can give off a ****ty sound, a sound that doesnt sound nice, just sounds loud and annoying. Anybody know anything about the Flowmaster Hushpower IIs, i was thinking of those as an alternative
Old 05-06-2005, 04:21 PM
'68 Chevelle Malibu Sedan

Last photo:

Well I've got a '73 Chevelle malibu (as per my name) sittin' at my house waiting to be rebuilt. It's been sitting for about 3 years now and it's got a set of 2.5 inch exhaust through a set of Flowmasters and headers. When me and my dad rebuild this engine we're going to put a lumpy cam into it, ya know one that'll make the car sound like it's barely idling but sounds great when revved and when you take off

Since we have some clearance issues we won't be able to put 3" exhaust on it for that deep bassy sound I like when the car idles. Then i heard about glasspacks and how they were basically a legal way to straightpipe your vehicle. I wouldn't have to use glasspacks but I'm looking for a muffler that's relatively loud, I know that's kind of contradictory because mufflers are suppose to muffle the sound, not louden it. We were thinking about a good set of Magnaflows, I've been on their website and some of those cars sounds really good, especially the GM A-body.

Could someone maybe recommend some mufflers that would compliment a 'lumpy' cam?
Old 05-06-2005, 04:48 PM

i have flowmaster 40's (original flows) on my 67 camaro, has headers, 3" in 2.5" out, no tips, and it sounds pretty damn wicked, engine has a lumpey cam, i love it.

I plan on getting cutouts for it, so i can open it up straight up after the headers, for when i decide to have some fun, and then screw the plates back on when im daily drivin.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:38 PM
"May the Schwartz be with you"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: Finally getting going...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdscott
Along with blowers, big tires, and burn outs, Whats wrong with some people! with the price of gas we should all be driving fireflys, its better for the environment after all...
What is wrong with "mature hotrodders" and glasspacks are we hate all the people that stick glasspacks on stock engines...they sound terrible and you can tell it's a stocker from 3 miles away.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:21 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar
What is wrong with "mature hotrodders" and glasspacks are we hate all the people that stick glasspacks on stock engines...they sound terrible and you can tell it's a stocker from 3 miles away.
I had dual exhaust with Walker Continental glass packs on my stock motor back in 1975 and it sounded really sweet. I bet if I had that car today you'd be drooling all over yourself if you heard it. Of course it was a 1967 GTO with a 400/335HP; TH400 and 3.55 posi.

"Good" glasspacks aren't that loud and have a nice deep, mellow tone but I know the ones you're talking about and couldn't agree more. They sound like somebody farting through a garden hose. All glasspacks are not created equal and good ones are much harder to find than they were 30 years ago but it really doesn't matter what kind of exhaust you run if you don't have anything in front of it.

To be totally honest for my own vehicles I prefer quiet exhaust so you can hear the intake (but don't think for one minute that makes me "mature" and I'll fight anybody that says I am ). The sound of a performance motor with a large cfm 4 bbl., especially a well tuned QuadraJet, at WOT makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up and my heart rate go up. There's nothing quite like the sound of two musclecars paired off just out of sight at dusk on a nice quiet summer night. When I was in high school the two hottest cars in town, a 1970 LS-6, 4 speed, 4.11 posi Chevelle and a 1970 Torino GT Conv. with a 429 Super CJ, 4 speed and 4.10 Detroit Locker, used to go at it about a mile outside of town on a regular basis. All you could hear in town was the wail of 2 Holley 4 bbls. sucking in air and changing pitch with each shift. I haven't heard anything like that in years........
Old 05-06-2005, 08:36 PM
"May the Schwartz be with you"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: Finally getting going...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippie
I had dual exhaust with Walker Continental glass packs on my stock motor back in 1975 and it sounded really sweet. I bet if I had that car today you'd be drooling all over yourself if you heard it. Of course it was a 1967 GTO with a 400/335HP; TH400 and 3.55 posi.

"Good" glasspacks aren't that loud and have a nice deep, mellow tone but I know the ones you're talking about and couldn't agree more. They sound like somebody farting through a garden hose. All glasspacks are not created equal and good ones are much harder to find than they were 30 years ago but it really doesn't matter what kind of exhaust you run if you don't have anything in front of it.

To be totally honest for my own vehicles I prefer quiet exhaust so you can hear the intake (but don't think for one minute that makes me "mature" and I'll fight anybody that says I am ). The sound of a performance motor with a large cfm 4 bbl., especially a well tuned QuadraJet, at WOT makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up and my heart rate go up. There's nothing quite like the sound of two musclecars paired off just out of sight at dusk on a nice quiet summer night. When I was in high school the two hottest cars in town, a 1970 LS-6, 4 speed, 4.11 posi Chevelle and a 1970 Torino GT Conv. with a 429 Super CJ, 4 speed and 4.10 Detroit Locker, used to go at it about a mile outside of town on a regular basis. All you could hear in town was the wail of 2 Holley 4 bbls. sucking in air and changing pitch with each shift. I haven't heard anything like that in years........
Not to put you down or offend you in any way, but even though that is a nice car, I can still tell. There is a certain tone to the exhaust with a stocker that gives it away...hard to explain.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:00 AM

Big cams and glasspacks dont mix. Seriously.

Get a set of turbos if you want to sound cool.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:33 AM

Last journal entry: Grille
Last photo:

some old guys like them, but dynomax/flowmasters beat them, dyno proven

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.