Hot Rod Forum banner

Exhaust manifolds glowing red.... TPI 350

37K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  454C10 
#1 ·
my cousin has a 1987 z28 camaro with the 350 tpi in it. Well it runs doggy and has no power at all, it also overheats really badly. We replaced the water pump radiator spark plugs wire cap rotor took it out for a spin well it didn't have power what so ever.... We pulled over popped the hood and the exhaust manifolds were glowing cherry red we called up my friend to come tow it decided driving it at that point in time was not an option unless we wanted to make things worse then they already are...

What would you guys think the problem is with this car?
We are thinking about taking the heads off replacing the head gaskets check the pistons and stuff make sure we didn't mess anything up, thinking about converting it to carburetor...

#4 ·
goldenbullet44 said:
What would you guys think the problem is with this car?
We are thinking about taking the heads off replacing the head gaskets check the pistons and stuff make sure we didn't mess anything up, thinking about converting it to carburetor...
New motor? Did you adjust the valves too tight? I saw a guy one time adjust his valves like he had hydraulic lifters but they were solids. Exhaust glowed red!

#5 ·
Lack of power and glowing exhaust is almost always caused by the timing being retarded. Check/set the timing.

The next possible cause would be a major vacuum leak causing an extreme lean condition. Check that ALL vacuum lines from the carb, TPI (this is what you say it has), intake manifold, etc. are connected at both ends and are in good condition.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.