Exhaust moisture - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2010, 06:18 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Exhaust moisture

Just curious if any one has any ideas on what could cause the passenger side exhaust to have as much moisture as it does. Its not extreme, but when you fire it up cold I'll notice a little more moisture than the driver side with a few little drips. Enough to see a difference, but once it warms up it's gone. I've checked the oil for water. I don't believe it's the head gasket. Not sure if theres a problem. Any ideas? It runs great! No overheating issues! Not sure what to think.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2010, 06:23 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Its not a problem.....an engine puts out lots of moisture. If its an older engine, it has a heat riser valve on the passenger side to aid warm up, so it seems more prevalent on that side
Old 12-06-2010, 08:21 PM
More for Less Racer

My 406 and a friends 383 that I did for him both have more condensation on one side than the other. Another friens 355 is the same way. Seems to just be a normal occurrence.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:40 PM

Last photo:

Good to hear that! Started to get a little worried! It runs great though and go's away after warm up. I guess all is good.Thanks for the replies.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:37 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

moisture

As I remember for every gallon of gasoline you burn you produce 1.2 gallons of water, The hydrogen in the fuel combines with the oxygen in the air, once the engine warms up it comes out the tailpipe as higher temperaature vapor, at start up the moisture condenses in the cold exhaust system so you see the droplets
Old 12-07-2010, 09:06 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Cracks me up when southerners see a little condensation coming out of the exhaust they freak out. You ought to come up north where it freeze's in the exhaust over night and blows steam out for an hour when it's 10* outside.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:09 AM

Last photo:

I was just a little concerned with it because of the diffrence in the two. I do know what you mean with people down here freaking out over it. I was a little concerned because of the one side doing a lot more than the other side. My Thundra does it all day that's how I know it's running. lol
Old 12-07-2010, 03:28 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 396chevelle
I was just a little concerned with it because of the diffrence in the two. I do know what you mean with people down here freaking out over it. I was a little concerned because of the one side doing a lot more than the other side. My Thundra does it all day that's how I know it's running. lol
Every street dual exhaust set up I've ever seen where there is a crossover seems to favor one side over the other. Certainly on factory set ups with a heat riser valve on one side you'd expect to see that since the valve forces one sides exhaust thru the intake manifold hot spot crossover for a faster warm up and better on choke fuel vaporization.

But even systems without the heat riser valve seem to favor one side, it must be there is that much difference in resistance to flow in one of the sides that more flow takes one out let, or maybe it's an effect of firing order where most V8s fire two cylinders on one side only 90 degrees apart.

Beyond that attempted explanation, it beats me as to why.

Bogie
Old 12-07-2010, 04:58 PM

Last photo:

Something that I have noticed during 38 years of driving is that which ever side is lower then the other when the car is parked the night before, will steam the most. That stated as long as there is no heat riser in the mix. I have noticed this with headers and dual exhaust over the years.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.