Hot Rod Forum banner

exhaust pipe

5K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  henryZ 
#1 ·
I am restoring a 1965 Biscayne & the exhaust manifolds I have are for 2" exhaust pipes(duals).

I had one 2" exhaust pipe bent to the shape of a rod I used for a pattern.

The exhaust pipe looks small.....are dual 2" pipes large enough for a low HP Chevy 350?

I am running a performer manifold, edelbrook 600 cfm carb & a RV cam.

Thanks Don :confused:

#4 ·
The 2" pipes are big enough for a mild engine, unless you want to switch to headers. Most of your restriction is in the exhaust manifold, so larger pipes won't make much difference. Use low restriction mufflers and an H pipe to get the most you can out of the 2" pipes.

You could also use 2 1/2" Corvette rams horn manifolds and a larger exhaust, but I'm not sure if the routing (straight down) will work with your car. Dorman sells them as a standard reproduction part, so they are easy to find and not that expensive.

Bruce

#7 ·
An efficient exhaust system allows the waste gas and compound to escape quickly out of the system and also to reduce the noise generated by the engine. If something is wrong with your engine, it will generally show symptoms. When you have smoke coming out your tailpipe, it might help point you towards what is broken with your motor. Article resource: Diagnosing a problem through your exhaust pipe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.