Hot Rod Forum banner

exhaust pipe expander usage.

45K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  weirdbeard 
#1 ·
I bought one of those cheap "tail pipe" expanders and I am not having much luck with it. Its the type that you turn the bolt with your wrench and the tool expands.
My problem is I can't turn it by hand with enough force to really get it to work.. I am a big strong guy, but this is crazy.
I tried heating the pipe with a torch first and not only did that not work.. It made my tool fall apart because "now I see" it is held together with a couple O rings.
It said on the pack not to do this, but I am going to put the impact wrench on it next unless one of you guys has a better suggestion.. :nono:

Probably it will ruin the tool, but its not really much good to me if it don't work.. :rolleyes:

#3 ·
Yeah I used some broccoli rubber bands to hold it back together. ;)

Well I guess I am going to give it the gun and see if it explodes. :pain:
BoatBob2 what brand is yours or where did you get it? If my AmPro unit blows up I will be looking to upgrade. :thumbup:

#4 ·
While you may be able to increase the tube size slightly with these tools, they are really made to reshape a previously clamped tube. You know, to remove the ridge from the clamp and make it round again. The units which increase the size of a tube are usually some form of hydraulic porta-power.

#10 ·
Wow Rob SS thanks for going out in 10* weather for that. :thumbup: Not sure I would have done the same.. :embarrass ;) You earned a sixer. :cool:
I can't tell how that lill thing even works by the pic, but it must be good if its designed the for an impact tool.

Redsdad that basically is the type I am using. Mine looks a little more heavy, but thats the same design.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.