Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Exhaust port question
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2005, 06:52 PM
wind & fire = guides to power
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Re: Basic Porting 101

Originally posted by Max Keith
Just remember; A little bit is good,but a bunch aint always gooder.
Most certainly the case, unless of course it's good looks(hard to have too many of those )

About the port floor there is a problem(I can't take pics b/c my camera is on "vacation to florida"). You said to raise the ports, which seems to me to be the best thing to do, allow the exhaust a straight shot out like on the 14,000 jap bikes but the factory manifolds and exhaust gaskets are lower. I have read that the exhaust needs to be lower !?

I've also been reading from Joe Sherman and he said to make the ports not like funnel, but a waterfall, which I did(even though I gave the wrong advice some time back to make it like a funnel).

Clean the bowl area up, reduce and narrow the guide boss, radius and smooth the short turn radius.
Already done and installed. I am thinking about pulling them off.
Be careful, Vortec castings are thin, and hogging them out leaves them very fragile, and you risk grinding through the port.
Which I did to a set of vortecs about 5 years ago(just the intake port by the pushrod.

Anyways is what I'm really asking is if the exhaust flows "too much" in relation to the intake what is the downfall?