Hot Rod Forum banner

Exhaust ports on Vortec heads?

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  302 Z28 
#1 · (Edited)
Exhaust ports on Fast Burn heads?

I have a Fast Burn 385 crate motor in my 69 vette and I am going to have some side exhaust headers (and sidepipes) manufactured.

Do the Fast Burn heads have the same exhaust ports as the Vortec heads?

Thanks,

Eric.

#2 ·
The Fastburn has "D" shaped exhaust ports, unlike the Vortec heads. Whoever you order your headers from need to know this, or you will get the wrong headers. See the attached picture of my Fastburn crate engine.

How does the Fastburn perform in your Vette? I will be putting mine in a 34 Ford 3 window coupe. I can' hardley wait to get it in there and feel it.

Vince

Attachments

#3 ·
Vince,

I love the Fast Burn 385, I am running a 4-speed in my 69 right now and the car is a blast to drive. Except that I am now going through the suspension.

Though now that I am done with my new family car, a air-bagged 64 SS Impala convetible, I am going to baseline the vette on a chassis dyno, then start modding the engine. New intake, new solid roller cam, new rockers. Then maybe EFI in the future.

Do you have any close up pics of the exhaust ports that you could e-mail me?

Thanks for the help.

Eric.

#4 ·
Eric, here is a llink to a picture I posted some time ago of the exhaust ports.

http://hotrodders.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19783&highlight=fastburn+exhaust

My engine is now off the test stand awaiting the arrival of my body and chassis, hopefully this month. It has since been painted Chevrolet orange, what else? It also has a 700R4 bolted behind it with a set of Sanderson headers.

Glad to hear yours is running great. How many miles do you have on it? How tight have you wound it up to so far? GM says the Fastburn will put out 430hp with just the switch to the GM optional camshaft.

Vince

#5 · (Edited)
Vince,

Thanks for the link! The picture is perfect!

I don't have too many miles on the car yet, even though I finished the engine install last year. I am still trying to get the suspension worked out. I have had it up to about 6,000 rpm, sounds and pulls great! I am having some side exhaust headers and side pipes built and then I will probably do a cam swap. It will be a solid roller and be a little more aggressive than the factory “Hot Cam”.

I want to finish up the mechanicals so that I can get the vette painted. Though, I am not too happy with the quality of the cowl hood that I bought back East.

In addition, I have been working on my 64 SS Impala convertible! What started out as a simple lowering turned into bags front & rear, 20s rear/ 18s front, new (ford 9") rear end, Baer disks front & rear, 700R4 tranny, new cloth top and I am still not done! I call it the zipper effect.

That Fast Burn 385 in a fiberglass rod will be sweet! and I am sure you will love it.

Thanks again, and post some update pics of your project!

Eric.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.