Exhaust.. Ricer mufflers? Adjustable? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2005, 03:29 PM
PorsChev

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Exhaust.. Ricer mufflers? Adjustable?

Well some of you know my project, but for those that dont, its a 73 Porsche 914 with a 350 sbc.
I took it to the exhaust shop, had them fab up an exhaust out of shorty headers, and I dont like the sound. To quiet! I figure its from my resenator tips, and the shorty headers with huge bends (a 120 deg angle right off the collector, nice piece of fabrication, twas neccisary with the shorty headers).

I just picked up a set of true headers, with 2.5in collectors. Im thinking of running a 3in pipe (about 2 ft long... lol) straight to a ricer muffler, glasspack style with a silencer. It will obviously be very loud, and throaty. I looked on ebay to find some that I liked... I found a brand that I think I like. Here is my choice for a muffler...
http://www.meganracing.com/products/....asp?prodid=60
Detail on inside..

Basically straight through (glasspack...)
Ebay has em for about $100 for a pair.
Anyone have any experience putting this behind a sbc? with short pipes? I want Some kind of adjustability. I was considering Supertrapps, but I cant find them used, and new are a good penny..

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2005, 03:54 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

they sound better with a smaller cam rather than a large one. Oh, and you can prety much forget "tune ability" though tuning an exhaust is pretty close to pointless anyway- if it flows too much just reduce the pipe to 2.5 inches before the muffler.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:01 PM
PorsChev

Last photo:

Smaller cam? Engine cam? Or you talking about diameter of muffler...

Why is tuning pointless? I have a Power effects muffler on a 944 turbo, and it really reduces the level of noise when its shut. I would use it for mine, but there stinkin heavy and big. Supertrapps are known for their tuning ability...

Please elaborate.

Thanks!

Andrew
Old 06-15-2005, 06:00 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

You may want to try a factory style resonator (the crimped solid metal type) and forget the muffler if you want more sound, the resonator will eliminate most of the rasp and leave the deep tones that everyone loves. You can always add a muffler later if needed.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:08 PM

you run a V8 through a fart can and it'll sound like ****. those soup cant are tuned for low compression small displacement engines. trust me, i may not know a lot but i've seen kids try this on camaros and firebirds and it doesnt sound very pretty. if you want the deep throaty sound plus the looks of the "muffler", but the mufflers and hollow em out and run flowmasters or glasspacks further up the line. please, dont run a V8 through a 4 banger pipe.

-Matt
Old 06-15-2005, 11:32 PM
PorsChev

Last photo:

What I dont understand is why you all have negative things to say without proof.. Its basically a glasspack.... Do you want me to show you the insides of a glasspack or a magnaflow series muffler? Its the same. The reason that 4 bangers sound like crap is because of their dispacement. a 1.8 honda engine is like a 3.6 v8 running true duals... What would you guys say if I put a glasspack right back there and thats it? You'd think it would sound loud, agressive and throaty... But a muffler that normally goes on a honda? Blasphemy!!!!

This is a unique situation, Whatever muffler I put on it will be loud, I might have to put a resonator in line with whatever I put because of how loud it will be.

Anyone actually done this that could shead some light?

BTW, for a visual... Stick out your arm. The distance from your shoulder to your fingertips is how much room my engine to the back of my car is...

Andrew

Last edited by Andyrew; 06-16-2005 at 02:43 PM.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:51 PM

listen here you little punk... if you would have read my whole post you would have seen that i said "i've known people to put them on camaros, and trans ams." both have the 5.7L LT1 V8... a 350... like the one your getting ready to stick a fart can on. trust me, im telling you it sounds like crap. and its not just the displacement of the engine that makes a difference. its the cam also. the duration and lift or whatever. ok sure, 3.6 V8 running true duals, never seen it but i'll give it to ya. your going to run a 350 through the mufflers. i've seen it, heard it and dont want to hear or see it again. but, do what you want to... its your car and your project.. we were just giving you advice....
Old 06-16-2005, 02:55 PM
PorsChev

Last photo:

Ok, I didnt mean to come off sounding so pissed off...

The reason I want a "ricer muffler" is because when im at the track, I can take out the silencer and run it open (I also have an idea for modifying the silencer to make it a little quieter, putting a "silencer" thing on the inside of the silencer pipe, one of those cone mesh things in Summit.. Should help a little..)

I also found some resonator mufflers, 12in long, 3in inlet/outlet.. I was considering making room in the piping (all 33in of room, minus 21in muffler... Hmm, thats a little close..) Would fit if its just straight back.

Anyone have a twin glasspack setup with straight pipes?

Any suggestions?

Another option I was thinking for room was putting the mufflers at an angle out and down, with the tips at the corners of the body... Twould give me another foot at least, and a couple of bends.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:02 PM

hmm... ever think about exhaust cut-outs? it allows you to run a muffler on the street and when your at the track you open em up and its like an open exhaust. or the warlock muffler... its basically just a muffler with a removeable plug to make it a straight through exhaust.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:08 PM
PorsChev

Last photo:

You mean like John millners car on American graffiti?

I like that idea, but the only problem with that is that all the tracks that I would go to (road courses, not drags) have sound DB limits, Running headers to 2-3ft of pipe would most definately be louder than the db limits.

I'll see what my exhaust shop thinks of that idea, Thanks!

More ideas (also muffler suggestions, especially short resonators) are welcome!

Thanks!
Old 06-16-2005, 04:11 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

duals on a 3.6

My sister's Grandam has a 3.3L with split to dual fart cans and it sounds great. Unbelieveably good for a rebuilt stock engine. And I think muffler tuning for power is close to pointless- for sound, well I never really cared if my car was loud, all my cars are. I also don't particularly care for the sound of glass packs on true dual stock 350's. Glass packs are what I see as an excuse of a muffler- its there to say you have one and not for much else. However stainless fartcans I do like on some cars, but if your going to have a lumpy idle with low vacuum.....just go flowmaster. Also, open up your pipe, a lot of that high pitched unwanted sound comes from too small of exhaust pipe leading to it, I know it'll reduce your low end torque, but if you want a good sound go with 3 inch. Then you're geting pretty close to a budget Borla setup.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.