Exhaust ??'s - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2008, 05:19 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Exhaust ??'s

I'm looking for a exhuast for our 1969 L71 vette 427ci 435hp M22 tri power ofcourse-"L71" the car is stock. I have been reseaching exhaust systems I know the car comes stock with a 2-1/2' - 2" .I know it needs to be up to 2 1/2 straight thru .I considering the aluminumized ,But when it comes to muffles there are a ton of opts.. Most of the guys in the corvette forums are leading towards the MagnaFlows. However I understand that most of the mufflers today offer NO back pressure . I know fromowning harleys that drag pipes that offer no back presure give you more at top end and with baffles offer better bottom end. I'm not truely concerned with layinginto the pedal I'm not drag it's a weekend cruiser yes I do get on it hear and there with the occasional show boating, But I'm moreconcerned with what is going to be best for the motor. Understand this is a matching #'s car and I dont want to damage the motor like I have done on my harley I run drag pipes on.

So my questions are. Does the restiction of the muffles make a huge difference in motor protection or do I want less restriction. and which mufflers do you other BB owners run. Any help would be great I want to order these ASAP.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2008, 05:46 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB427
I'm looking for a exhuast for our 1969 L71 vette 427ci 435hp M22 tri power ofcourse-"L71" the car is stock. I have been reseaching exhaust systems I know the car comes stock with a 2-1/2' - 2" .I know it needs to be up to 2 1/2 straight thru .I considering the aluminumized ,But when it comes to muffles there are a ton of opts.. Most of the guys in the corvette forums are leading towards the MagnaFlows. However I understand that most of the mufflers today offer NO back pressure . I know fromowning harleys that drag pipes that offer no back presure give you more at top end and with baffles offer better bottom end. I'm not truely concerned with layinginto the pedal I'm not drag it's a weekend cruiser yes I do get on it hear and there with the occasional show boating, But I'm moreconcerned with what is going to be best for the motor. Understand this is a matching #'s car and I dont want to damage the motor like I have done on my harley I run drag pipes on.

So my questions are. Does the restiction of the muffles make a huge difference in motor protection or do I want less restriction. and which mufflers do you other BB owners run. Any help would be great I want to order these ASAP.
On a full exhaust system you want low restriction. This wont cause engine damage. The MagnaFlows are very good mufflers. Just depends on the sound level you would like. Most muffler Co's have sound files on their websites to listen to the different models.
http://www.dynomax.com/
http://www.cherrybomb.com/
http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...st_intro.shtml
http://www.racemufflers.com/
Old 06-23-2008, 07:15 PM

Cool I forgot to say I'm keeping the stock manifolds& there is obviously no cats on the 69 or polution control.

I was worried about low restriction due to ring damage on my lowrider from running drag pipes,But then again the drag pipes were short similar to running open headers.

Basicly what your saying is all pipes are the same except for their sound

Last edited by BB427; 06-23-2008 at 07:28 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:23 PM

Last photo:

Here is a some sites to checkout http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...exh/index.html
http://www.boyleworks.com/ta400/psp/exhaust.html
http://www.broaderperformance.com/mu...flow_tests.htm
I'm running a bbc with hooker headers to flowmaster s pipes 3" to pypes x system 3"then through magnaflow mufflers 3" sounds great! You can find my engine pic here (towards the bottom) show pics of your engines boys!
Old 06-24-2008, 02:29 PM
Horsepower Enthusiast

Last journal entry: Finished BMOD001FH
Last photo:

I was running a 496 with 3" exhaust the turned out before the rear tires. I had the new flowmaster super 44's on it and they sounded great but it was really loud.

I have a sound clip/video of it running in my gallery.

I put those same mufflers on a 383 SBC with 2.5" exhaust and ran it out the back. They are significantly quieter. I guess it is all about the cubic inches.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:09 PM

Went and spoke to a guy from a corvette shop here in NY told him I wanted to buy a exhaust told him what I wanted and let him pitch away. Ultimately what came out of the convo was the info I wanted. Where I go to corvette connection or just to volunteer vettes and buy a stock 2.5" pipe system for 68 and put it on my car or if I buy a Magnaflow pipe set I will see no difference . Yes the stock can are a slightly more restrictive than the magna or FM ect.. but unless I'm going to have a customs set of pipes made it's " 6 of 1 or 1/2 dozen of another" . After waivering out the value for production I desided on stock dia..1968 2.5" vette pipes and a set of magnaflows cheap enough 430 with hangers so I can put the saved money in to gas LOL

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.