Exhaust too loud? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2003, 01:39 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question Exhaust too loud?

I'm in Los Angeles, California and I have a problem. I currently was handed down a 72 Nova with a 350, tunnel ram w/dual carbs, camel hump heads, 1 5/8" headers, 3" exhaust and dual 40 series flowmasters delta flow mufflers. I don't know much more of the internal specs of the engine but my problem is with the noise level. I read that California law states that a vehicle's exhaust cannot go over 95 decibels running at 3500rpm.

I have called my local police department, CHP, Referee station, to see if they can help me check my system but no luck. I found a muffler shop that had just got a machine that did just that only problem was when he tried to use it, he couldn't get the bugs worked out. Is there someone running a similar setup and if so have you had any problems with the police? I was even thinking of changing my mufflers and getting a quieter series. Are the 50 series noticably quieter, what about these other mufflers like Magnaflow, Dynomax, etc...are they just as good? Would it be cheaper if I go from a 3" to a 2 1/2" exhaust?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2003, 02:31 AM

Last photo:

Dynomax Super Turbos are quieter than Flowmasters, and come in 3" sizes if you want them. 2-1/2" would be even quieter, but more restrictive. See an exhaust test at www.boyleworks.com/ta400/psp/exhaust.html

If you need to be quiet only one day a year, and have an H- or X-pipe, you can temporarily plug one tailpipe, and it will be quieter running through only one muffler.
Old 10-06-2003, 04:47 AM

Last photo:

what jim said

i used to own my own shop dyno max super turbos make a 3"
muffler however it has a very large body i would sugest profesional fitting if ground clearance is all ready a problem
if a 3500 rpm it is still over the top try a hotdog style resonator
up close near the y piece this wil only take the crisp bark
away and should get you through. after a loud loud car
you may enjoy the diffrence noise dont equal power
it draws unwanted attention
Old 10-06-2003, 12:17 PM

Last photo:

If the cops don't have equipment to test the noise level then just drive it.It's there job to prove your breaking the law.if they cant test it then they cant prove it. works in canada
Old 10-06-2003, 07:07 PM
Luv the smell of burnt RICE

If i were u i'd go with either a borla or holley hooker muffler... they both out flow the flowmaster.. and are much quieter.. the hookers a little cheaper then borla.. borla's made from stainless steel.. thats y there kinda pricy... just my 2 cents
Old 10-06-2003, 07:59 PM

Last photo:

Worked in Santa Barbra County a short time ago and had a 1970 Charger R/T 440 with Headers & Purple hornies on it. LOUD!! Found out on the 1st ticket that the ticketing agency has to read you with a Decibel Meter for it to hold up in court. It takes a calibrated meter and a certified operator to write the ticket. Everyones idea of loud is different so once they know you know this, (Unless you've done more than just be loud), you'll get the "talk an walk". I never got another noise ticket. BUT the speeding and improper display of--- tickets were something else. Make sure your super legal and have fun with what sounds like a COOL RIDE.
Old 10-06-2003, 09:59 PM

Thank you guys for all the information. I talked to a police officer at the Irwindale Department, and told him that they have instruments to detect speeding which will hold up in court. Now do you have instruments on you patrol vehicles to detect decibels levels? He said that they don't it basically depends on the officer. If he feels it's too loud then he would issue a fix-it ticket. At which point I would go to the Referee station to have them test it. That sucks.
What if the kid running the machine owns a rice rocket and got beat too many times by American Muscle. Then I would be his pay back. Does any one knows of a shop or something that tests decibel levels in the Los Angeles, Irwindale and surrounding cities area?
Old 10-06-2003, 11:15 PM

Sounds like the CA law man is busting people's balls. I got a 65 malibu 350 headers old school glass packs. Although it's loud the law man doesn't care. I say the anwer to the problem is find a place where these wonderful machines are appriciated like that should be. Come to East Tennssee, promise no noise tickets, or better yet emmisions tests.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.