Hot Rod Forum banner

Exhuast flowmaster 60s,and glasspacks not loud?

821 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  chevyboy1986 
#1 ·
I bought a dual 2.5in exhuast that connects perfectly where my pipes were cut at and i put a pipe connector and clamps on today and the set that have glass packs and go to ft long 3in chrome tips at the end are just a little louder then the flowmaster 60s are which are dumped after the cab with turn downs.

Now i got both sets the other day for $60 so i cant complain but my $30 tractor supply mufflers i cut off the other day sound as loud as glasspacks do rite now so what the heck?
I can only think that it's because the glasspacks connect near the end of cab and then it goes all the way back to rear bumper, and the other 2 sets have mufflers then nothing but 6inch of pipe and end way before rear axle so is this why? And would cutting the glass packs off pipes and just having them dumped by cab be louder but not too loud, i just want a nice deep rumble that sounds beast in higher rpm would this do that?

#4 ·
The biggest factor in how loud an exhaust will be is how long the pipes are after the muffler and where they exit. The longer the better.

Exiting directly underneath the passenger compartment will be the loudest even with a a good quiet muffler. Out the side is better and would reduce droning inside the vehicle.

Over the axle and out the side behind the rear tire should reduce a mufflers resonance quite well. Straight out the back should result in the quietest of them all using the same muffler in each situation.

I have dual 2 1/2 Delta Flow 50's on my Impala (350ci) exiting out the side behind the rear tire. I'm not crazy about the hollow sound at idle but it's a pretty quiet exhaust. I'm not running a crossover. It gets louder when accelerating but isn't obnoxiously loud. Interior noise is relatively quiet when cruising and doesn't have any droning or resonance inside the car at any speed.

Neither of your mufflers should be that loud at all if you have any decent length of pipe after the muffler.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.