Hot Rod Forum banner

Existing bondo???

1K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  motomonkey 
#1 ·
Recently purchased a 66 van and want to improve appearance now while saving money to do-it right. Previous owner has done some bondo work and not really sanded it done properly. Question is, can I smooth it out by sanding it down now, and then primer it? I understand the best thing may be to remove all the old bondo and repair it propperly but I am not in a position to do that just yet.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

#5 ·
I have found it more effective to get that old bondo off and fix the metal under there as it is likely that the previous guy covered up a mess..I see this a lot as some one wishes to do something of a temporary nature and winds up creating a bigger mess than if he had done it right in the first place and also spending a great deal more money in the bargain..

Just my take on this one..

Sam

#7 ·
Plastic filler is cheap, do you really want to sand it down, prime, sand some more, paint it then have the filler fall out. I would grind or sand it off, redo it, have peace of mind knowing it was done right.

#8 ·
you could sand it and prime it for now if it is just too ugly to leave until you can do it right, but doing it right means getting rid of it all so you know what is underneath. Then you can straighten the metal and you wont need as much filler to make it right. :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.