Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Expectable horsepower?
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 11:42 AM
Old & Furious

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viban View Post
The replacement cam is indeed a roller cam.

As for the exhaust, it is stock for now, however I do plan on getting a decent set of headers in the near future. I will likely end up using the stock intake as I'm only 15, and it was enough trouble talking my dad into the upsized cam (BTW I read somewhere that this cam should give me an enhanced midrange, and that it'll give me a slight lope?).
The guy at the performance shop I got it from said that this was actually the biggest I could go without the necessity of modifying anything.

I also already have the crank, rods, and pistons in already, we'll probably end up re-using the lifters as they have minimal wear.

I'll probably end up taking some of that valve grinding compound I have and the suction cup thing I bought and giving the contact surface for the valves a slight cleaning.

Thats all I can think of for now.

I would also like to add that the stock cam was indeed rather tiny, there was quite a visible difference between the new one and the old one.
Yep you should reuse the stock lifters if there in good shape. Also does not cost to much to replace one if its bad. If one is a little different from all the rest spend the 20 bucks and get a new lifter.

Some smaller cams will work with stock computer.

Suction cup thing is crap use a piece of fuel line on the end of the valve. That way you can spin your hands and very the pressure a little to make the job easier. Use the fine water based paste it is easest to work with. Just do it until there is a fine thin line around the entire valve seat and valve. Then clean and poor solvent into the port and see if the valve leaks with just thumb pressure. Once it holds fluid its good. Leave it and go to the next one. Keep things clean as you go. Small amount of compound like less than a fat drop of water. Spin it clean it check it move on.

Yeah you can use a drill but dont get carried away you can screw up the seats so they seal up and start to leak after a few thousand miles. Less is more. Spring will smack the valves into the seat and seal them up.