Experienced painters advice please! Advice on painting a frame - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2012, 04:27 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

sounds like a good plan. one way to insure you get good coverage is to shoot it in white or gray epoxy first coat then follow with black.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2012, 09:23 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Campo
Am in the process of repainting the frame on my truck and was wondering about what paint to use. I am sandblasting it (frame is boxed and have some experience with sandblasting so am not worried about warping it) and then plan on using SPI epoxy primer on it. If I understand SPI website correctly for the most corrosion protection Barry says to use 3 coats of primer instead of the usual 2. Living in South Texas this is a big concern for me as things rust inside my insulated concrete floored shop even as the humidity is more often 100% than below. After that I was wondering about what paint to use. I plan on painting the engine, control arms and trailing arms hugger orange so will be using Chromabase on these parts (as I understand that orange does not cover well and fades more easily in Nason and these parts are easily seen from the outside of truck). For the frame itself though I was wondering about using the Nason Fulbase Urethane BC/CC in Jet Black. It is about 100 bucks versus 270 (for the Chromabase) for a gallon. Will this be good enough for a frame or will it peel, rust through etc? This is going to be a very nice driver (hopefully) and some local car shows but not a trailer queen. O yes and then I will be clearing it with SPI clear also. Any help or recommendations about anything would be greatly appreciated!!! Am not interested in painting with any rust convertor or POR 15 incidentally, have had poor luck with those.
I think most any of the epoxy's or urethane's will work very well. The or A big problem in high humidity environments is rust from the inside. A frame has a lot of tooling and access holes that let water and humidity in. For full protection things have to painted inside as well.

You can by the equipment http://www.chemicar.com/tools_spraygun_under.php but its pricey for a one or two time use. What I do is to use a paint pot from Harbor Freight and make a spray tip from copper tube that fits to a length of paint hose. Then put it into the frame all the way to the opposite end. Run up pressure in the pot regulate the output with a valve (pre tested for pattern and amount) then pull the hose back out of the frame or rocker panel or other places you just can't get into with a spray gun.

It's messy to be sure but nobody's gonna look inside the frame but you and then probably only once. First time I did this was 50 years ago with real Rustoleum, Damp Red Primer to my 61 Ford Starliner coupe when I was stationed in Guam. Had a crushed coral driveway, the paint drained out of the frame and rocker panels for days, it looked like the most gruesome murder in history happened in that driveway. No more rust problems, however.

Bogie
Old 02-10-2012, 05:45 AM
World Famous VF-14

Last journal entry: Cleaned it up...
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine
hell jester in the navy we either painted it with grey epoxy or saluted it

i did shoot a lot of zinc on the aircraft . only thing i ever seen that would stay on an aircraft . but the main reason was it was applied thin and was a corrosion inhibitor . aluminum just disappears in salt air.
but it is pretty much gone in the refinish business now. it was big back in the 80's on the factory repaints . blast with acrylic , etch prime and go .
LOL Shine I too Have Sprayed many a coat of epoxy on some F-14's and H-3's, corrosion doesn't blay well with Aluminum so Epoxy was the only thing that held up. most of our epoxy was made by DEFT paints. Still have a little , and its what I sprayed the 94 frame for my 77 coupe with.. no paint will last if you are driving on gravels roads and dusty areas for over 50% of the time, plus you have to factor in alot of folks nowadays don't know how to wash a car, long as the outside is close to clean they think its good, never giving thought to nooks and crannies and the underside, Hell why do you think touchless car washes are so popular cause people are idiots.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:52 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

there was a part a part b mix for everything. you ever have the honor of roping a stairwell ? most mind numbing thing i have ever done. but epoxy is and has always been the #1 resin in corrosion protection . zinc for adhesion on the birds then epoxy outside. after patching a few dozen holes .
Old 02-11-2012, 05:56 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Barry's epoxy has chromates in it I dont think zinc is but heck I dont even know what a chromite is...But I DO know rust buckets and I wouldnt use POR15 on any of my rust buckets either but Osphos no good for airplanes or any aluminum...BTW,WHY do they call it aircraft stripper if it cant be used on an airplane .
Old 02-15-2012, 10:20 AM

Last photo:

So I have been looking for a urethane SS paint to use. Since I am going to be putting some of the best epoxy out there on the frame is it ok to use the Summit (Kirker if I understand right) paint or what would be best? These are the prices I got for a gallon (will be spraying everything on the truck that needs to be black with the same paint):

DuPont ChromaOne $380
Nason Fulthane $150
PPG Shopline $185 with all the reducers, etc
PPG Concept? $507 with all the reducers
Summit $100 with all the reducers

I am not trying to halfa$$ anything here and will shell out the money if it is really necessary but what do you all think!! And I will most certainly be getting the exterior of the vehicle done with the expensive stuff no matter how well the frame turns out.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:04 AM

Last journal entry: bump stops
Last photo:

frame paint

I used a product called Ful-Thane 2k urethane by Nason use it with a catalyst. I painted my frame black and used three wet coats. easy to spray and looked great. sc
Old 02-16-2012, 08:43 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,083 Times in 966 Posts
Yep, I am thinking for a frame that is the perfect choice. It is a real urethane from a major supplier that is used on trucks all over the country.

Brian
Old 02-17-2012, 04:39 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Thats what I would use too ...I';ve used a lot of it on solid color cars ,it does spray well but I dont think its a true urathane I believe its a modified enamel not sure....and it holds up well though....I hate the ratio 8;1;2
Old 02-18-2012, 11:59 AM

nason 2k urethane is perfect for the job. used it for yrs, great shine even after yrs in the sun
Old 03-13-2012, 03:21 PM

Last photo:

Just wanted to update everyone on what I decided to do. Called SPI and ordered my primer. They recommended that I spray black epoxy under the black and white under the hugger orange. While I was talking to them I asked what they recommended for color and they said to try ProSpray. I know that shine and some of you others on here use that and seem to like it. So called Chad up in Michigan I believe it is and ordered a gallon of SS jet black for the frame and a quart of hugger orange for my A arms and trailing arms. Not too bad of price. For all the color and activator plus reducer was around 350 bucks. This over some epoxy should last a VERY long time. I will post up pictures when more progress is made. The frame is 98 percent done and ready for blasting and paint.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.