Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - expert opinion please...
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2005, 04:10 AM
waynenewtoneVil

Last journal entry: plans
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

expert opinion please...

Though it's not a hotrod, I have a pretty generic question about a Kia transaxle. My boss has an '01 Kia Rio with a 5-spd. It's one of several I have rebuilt from salvage and have done alot of the maintenance on it for him. It's his commuter/beater as he drives 150 miles to and from work daily. Anyway, the car now has around 96k on it and he's been complaining about the clutch going south. Here are the symptoms: it makes a terrible noise whenever the clutch is released; ie the input shaft is moving. Push in the clutch, input shaft stops, no noise. Running down the road, the noise varies with rpm, not speed. It sounds terrible. It shifts easily, the clutch does not seem to slip, and the trans was full of nice clean looking gear lube. My first take is the trans is shelled, probably a bad bearing on the input shaft. However, what do you guys thing the odds are it's the throwout bearing? Maybe it's just noisey when its freewheeling as opposed to having a load on it? What do you guys think? Thanx!