expert witness - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2003, 07:50 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post expert witness

I am an attorney in New Jersey looking to retain an expert witness on customization work done by my client on a 1970 Buick Electra 225. My client installed hydraulic suspension systems, high-output racing engine and tranny, custom-welded control arms and exhaust headers (and pipes), and digital racing dash. He also installed elecrical support for all these systems. My client will pay for travel and is looking to hire an expert witness in order to come to N.J. to examine the work and testify as to its value. Customer is deadbeat, and won't pay for work. All submissions kept strictly confidential. dsufrin@sufrinzucker.com

[ January 08, 2003: Message edited by: suffysufrin ]</p>

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2003, 09:06 AM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

whats wrong with a local boy who is ASE certified? works at the local dealer or owns his own shop? ny must be full of them. sounds like your guys should just steal it back and remove everything or getta hold of Sammy the Bull and ask for a referral.
Old 01-09-2003, 02:13 PM
Kenneth Howard hates you...

Last journal entry: door pics smaller
Last photo:

Isn't that why there is such a thing as a 'Mechanics Lein'?
Being a lawyer and all, you should have known that the customer doesn't get the car from the shop until the bill is paid in full...sounds like your 'client' was a little foolish on his own part.
Later,
WEIMER
Old 01-09-2003, 02:14 PM

Last photo:

yeah right bull then he would be behind bars looking out. once you install anything on a car and let it out of your care custady and control you can not go get it. i know you know this.

bomo
Old 01-09-2003, 03:06 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Hey mister lawyer person If you are any type of lawyer I think you could do better than solicit on the net. Or did you just pass the bar and this is your first case? Jon...Send this to the dump!!!!

Kevin
Old 01-09-2003, 03:38 PM
Kenneth Howard hates you...

Last journal entry: door pics smaller
Last photo:

To the Dump!!! To the Dump!!! To the Dump!!!
&lt;-- Lawyer?

Later,
WEIMER
Old 01-09-2003, 03:49 PM

never mind, i was just screwing around.

[ January 09, 2003: Message edited by: crshrmn3 ]</p>
Old 01-13-2003, 08:48 AM

[quote]Originally posted by Weimer:
<strong>Isn't that why there is such a thing as a 'Mechanics Lein'?
Being a lawyer and all, you should have known that the customer doesn't get the car from the shop until the bill is paid in full...sounds like your 'client' was a little foolish on his own part.
Later,
WEIMER</strong><hr></blockquote>
Actually, we did perfect a mechanic's lien, and we retained possession of the car until last week, when a novice judge incorrectly concluded that the Buick fell outside the mechanic's lien statute because it falls outside the statutory definition of a "motor vehicle" as set forth in NJ Mechanic's Lien Law, although even a lawnmover would be covered. She confused the fact that the car is not presently registerable (because of the modifications we made), to mean that it could therefore not be defined as a motor vehilce, subject to the mechanic's lien statute. What can I say...she's a female judge, and I don't suppose she's done a lot of work on cars herself. I may appeal her reasons, but I still need an expert.
Comprende?
Old 01-13-2003, 08:50 AM

[quote]Originally posted by bullheimer:
<strong>whats wrong with a local boy who is ASE certified? works at the local dealer or owns his own shop? ny must be full of them. sounds like your guys should just steal it back and remove everything or getta hold of Sammy the Bull and ask for a referral.</strong><hr></blockquote>

No problem. The owner of the car is a Philadelphia Eagles offensive left tackle. You think Sammy the Bull can take him? I doubt it. He's about seven feet tall, and over 300lbs.
Nice try.
Old 01-13-2003, 08:57 AM

[quote]Originally posted by bullheimer:
<strong>whats wrong with a local boy who is ASE certified? works at the local dealer or owns his own shop? ny must be full of them. sounds like your guys should just steal it back and remove everything or getta hold of Sammy the Bull and ask for a referral.</strong><hr></blockquote>
Customer is an offensive tackle for the Philadelhpia Eagles. I don't think Sammy the Bull could take him.
Old 01-13-2003, 09:13 AM

[quote]Originally posted by Weimer:
<strong>To the Dump!!! To the Dump!!! To the Dump!!!
&lt;-- Lawyer?

Later,
WEIMER</strong><hr></blockquote> I'm just trying to assist my client with an expert. I would think this would be a good place to come for advice. My client is a customization expert, and he needs fellowship here, not lawyer bashing. Everyone hates lawyers, until they need one.

In any event, we had a mechanics lien, and some judge who felt that she understood this case, invcorrectly concluded that the mechanics lien statute only covers a car which is registerable. She then stated that the customization performed by my client exempted the work from the statute, and gave it back to the customer, an offesnive tackle for the Philadelphia Eagles.
Old 01-13-2003, 09:31 AM

Perhaps the best thing to do here is learn a lesson and don't do any more work for overpaid babies who can't handle life in the real world.
I feel for you.
Old 01-13-2003, 09:33 AM

[quote]Originally posted by pasadenahotrod:
<strong>Perhaps the best thing to do here is learn a lesson and don't do any more work for overpaid babies who can't handle life in the real world.
I feel for you.</strong><hr></blockquote>
Agreed.
Old 01-13-2003, 01:07 PM

[quote]Originally posted by Kevin45:
<strong>Hey mister lawyer person If you are any type of lawyer I think you could do better than solicit on the net. Or did you just pass the bar and this is your first case? Jon...Send this to the dump!!!!

Kevin</strong><hr></blockquote>
In the future, you might first engage the clutch amd put your brain in gear before you post such responses.

This forum/site allows all hot-rod related postings. It's not just for technical and spec. discussions. My posting was absolultely legitimate, as I was simply looking for assistance from a hot-rod customization expert in a case in which my client (a major hot-rod enthusiast himself) is being screwed by a customer who doesn't want to pay for tens of thousands in expert work performed. Why is my attempt to help him so offensive to you? Would your opinion change if you knew that I am working for free here? This is for a close friend.
In any case, our adversary is attempting to use a loophole in the law in order to collect thousands in hot-rod customization services for free. I simply was looking to hire an expert in the field on this site, and I thought it was a great place to get some feedback from fellow enthusiasts as to where to start.
Old 01-13-2003, 01:26 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Come on Guys. I dont know about you all, but I think that if any of you are qualified and close give this guy a call. I think it is an good idea for him to come here. I dont know many ASE certified mechanics that can verify or quantify the quality or value of custom car work. As a matter of fact I would say that there are very few who could. Custom work is a far cry from engine rebuilds and brake jobs.

Give Him a break...

Chris

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.