Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - explosion concerns!
View Single Post
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 07-10-2009, 07:19 AM
cobalt327's Avatar
cobalt327 cobalt327 is offline
WFO
 
Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta
Age: 60
Posts: 5,037
Wiki Edits: 1616

Thanks: 128
Thanked 598 Times in 547 Posts
One other thing that is possibly worth mentioning on the fans (or most any electrical device), is that when there's a failure- like a short circuit because of old or faulty wiring, for instance- that sparks (thus an ignition source) can be created. So while an induction motor is a safe motor, spark-wise, it can still be an ignition point.

The best bet here, IMO, will be to use a new fan (or any electrical component- extension cords, switches, lights, whatever) that has an hour or two of run time on it, previous to be used in the "booth". This might be seen as overly cautious, I don't know. But I wouldn't trust brand new (as in, the first use of a component in the explosive atmosphere) OR too old, either one.

Static can be lessened by painting on a day that isn't cool and dry, and wear cotton clothing/overalls. Probably best to avoid plastic sheeting, for instance.
Reply With Quote