Originally Posted by 302 Z28
The box fans as mentioned are probably OK, as long as you start them before you start to spray and turn them off after all suspended paint has been removed. It is the starting and stopping of the fans that creates the spark. The motors are induction and as such do not have brushes to create sparks. The on-off switch is a different animal that most definitely creates a spark when operated. As mentioned the incandescent bulbs are the most worrysome. With incandescent bulbs their surface temperature more than likely exceeds the ignition temperature of suspended paint, so they are of concern. In industry when incandescent bulbs are used in an explosive classified area they are enclosed usually in a clear plastic bowl to prevent explosive gases or substances coming into contact with the high temperature bulb surface.
I painted a truck in a booth with incadesent bulbs....when in the bed I stood up hit one with my big head and cut myself,then it glowed real bright and arced out ....at the very least I could have electrocuted myself....they made it very hot too.....bad idea...