Extended My front fenders - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2007, 09:08 AM

Last journal entry: Albany Oregon Show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Extended My front fenders

Since I extended my chassis out to 100Ē I had to extend the front side of my wheel wells. Since I did my rear wheel wells a few months ago it was easier the second time around. I stitch welded the panel in place first and now I will go back and solid weld the panel in place. My thinking on the stitch welding was to hold the panel in place firmly so it didnít shift when I solid welded it. Thatís probably armature thinking, but this is my first build. I will also have to do some restructuring of the fiberglass nose piece. Notice the bad fit between the lower front of the left fender and the nose. I donít know of another way to fix the problem other than to simply cut the problem out and rebuild (from scratch) the part that does not fit. Suggestions welcome

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00990.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	21881   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00995.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	21882   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00999.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	21883   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00993.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	21884   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01000.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	21885  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2007, 09:24 PM

Last photo:

That looks like a Monza? You've got the idea right, tack it untill it is completely welded allowing it to cool between welds, move around so the heat isn't concentrated in one area, you can hammer and dolly as you go to keep warpage down.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:23 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

QuarterFlash,

Nice work, I can't wait to see your Project completed and your Wife smiling from that first big run!

For me, I've learned to not grind much until I've completed the Welding-in my early attempts, I found that I would want it to be perfect and grind the Metal too thin, so I really practiced at grinding only the Welds (sometimes that Roloc Disc wanders you know ).

Now I will Weld 'er up (allowing sufficient time between Welds to cool), Hammer and Dolly the Panel so it's straight, grind carefully, and sometimes if you hold your Mouth just right you can't tell it's been welded !
Old 06-13-2007, 07:27 AM

Last photo:

Extended my front fenders

It is a 80 Monza. Take a look at my journal. I have done a lot of work. Drawback to my journal is I don't get any feedback. This being my first build of any kind sometimes I don't know the questions to ask. As in your advice to keep spotting it until I fill it all in. When I did my quarters (see journal) I had a lot of problems with warpage. Mostly, I have figured out what to do by reading other peoples journals and posts, but it doesn't always directly relate to what I'm doing or not enough explanation for an armature. Good points also from 35Window on grinding the welds. Oops your right I hadn't thought of that.

Bob
Old 06-13-2007, 07:51 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

Bob,

In terms of warpage, I was over in the Body Shop of the Dealership that I work in, and one of the Top Tech's there told me about giving the Welds a shot of air to cool them down. I'm sure they do that to meet flat rate times.

This is nothing really new, but it was to me at the time, and I reported it here-lots of discussion, but it will help somewhat in that you will cool the area down around the Weld before the heat really spreads-won't completely help with warpage, but it will help some-

Good luck-I have kept track of your progress (from afar), and to be truthful am quite jealous-I think all of us would love to have a Drag Car as nice as the one you are building-
Old 06-13-2007, 08:06 AM

Last photo:

Extended my front fenders

It is always great to get suggestions on how to do or to do things better. I have received a lot of great advice from this site and I appreciate it immensely. It is also great to hear someone say you did a good job. This builds ones confidence and motivates for the long haul. Thank You

Bob
Old 06-20-2007, 07:39 AM

Last photo:

More pic of body work

Thought I would post some pics after doing the basic fiberglass work and fitting.

B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01006.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	22170   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01010.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	22171   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01013.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	22172   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01014.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	22173   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01009.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	22174  

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.