Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Extension cords and air hose care
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012, 02:33 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Extension cords and air hose care

40 years ago a then older gentlemen showed me a way to keep my power cords, extension cords, and air hosed from tangling, something that eventually does dammage to them. He told me to always coil them up counter clockwise. His reason was that in the manufacturing process of these items, everything is done in clockwise. Think about it, you've all seen how cords get into a birds nest looking tangled mess, especially the flat cords. It really works...

Another trick I learned back then was to give all my cords a yearly heavy Armor-All wipe down. It works best when you do it on a warm sunny day after you've let the cord(s) set in the sun to soften. I had an OSHA 10 power construction cord given to me that was braided and stuffed into a bucket for 10 years and up in the guys rafters. The cord was hard and almost impossable to get undone, I left it out in the bucket in the sun for a couple days giving it a liberal spray bath with Armor All a few times each day, The cord is in perfect shape today soft. pliable, and I only coil it up not braid it for storage.