Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Exterior ideas for firebird
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2010, 11:34 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,083 Times in 966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bolt-on
That cars desirable if you like it! I'm a huge fan of the 2nd Gen F-bodies, but of course I do like the 67-69 firebirds... used to have a 1969 firebird that unfortunately I never finished. I consider the 1969 firebird the least known, and rarest of the birds... I prefer the 1979 the best.

That said, I'd put Trans-am Fenders, Spoiler, and some combination of cool looking hood and wheels. Next, I'd put in a nice LSX motor... so If you ever decided to sell it you'd get a good price. Personally, I don't want a car if it's stock. Factory stock hubcabs and steel wheels look great? Give me a break, they never did and never will.

Also, since it's not a special model, that gives you every right to chop it up, and make it into a one of a kind original model. Factory cars are extremely boring and unoriginal. People judge a 60's-70's car on what motor they originally had, and their original jello suspension systems... None of that matters unless your going back boring stock, because none of the original suspension or engine usually is any good due to miles.

So with that said it's your car, and you can build a dream car out of it.
The one thing I have to say is leaving something "stock" as in totally original in the form that it rolled off the assembly line is "boring". I LOVE a totally original car for what it is, ORIGINAL. But other than that, I am with you, I am not big on the poor fit and finish of a car like that seventies Firebird.

HOWEVER, when someone spends the time that has obviously been spent on this black Firebird ....

It is FAR from "boring". The detail that has been spent making it straight and perfectly fit panels makes it a stand out, at least to me. When walking thru a Goodguys show a car with special detail, that "extra" touch that says "I have been touched on every square inch" gets my head to spin a lot more than a car with a bunch of stuff bolted on that doesn't have that "I have been touched on every square inch" look.

The proper stance, just the right amount of SUBTLE changes can make a car a MUCH bigger stand out than shocking, belly button changes that everyone else is doing.

Of course when we talk about OPINIONS like these we all have different ones, I am just stating mine.

Brian