Exterior ideas for firebird - Page 10 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2010, 07:37 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Alright i was wrong. But the silver ones look pretty good IMO. Agree?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2010, 07:48 PM
Show me the money !

Last photo:

Let's face it. You should either keep those stockers, get some classic chrome crager 5 spokes, or sell that thing and find a Chevelle

I like to think INSIDE the box. Sorry for my honesty. It's a cool ride and will be whatever you do to it.

Just a thought, Ever think of those old style aluminum slotted rims ? There pretty cool.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71 chevelle.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	49222  
Old 10-25-2010, 08:02 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Well, 4 door, i was goin for a new/old mixed look like this black car that was posted earlier.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:10 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerformula
This is a great thread, just happen to have a ´77 myself and you guys have great ideas! Here´s my .02-

I did the older school big white letter tires thing with mine. Its an inexpensive option and carries the muscle car look. I do like the low pros I saw in some photos earlier in this thread, but as far as aftermarket rims are concerned I think you´re going to be paying some big money for something that may or may not look that great and as mentioned before, age well. Unless you´re swapping to rear disc you´ve got very little to show off with open rims, and for that reason I like the stockers. Also, I really feel like your rims are another place to add some contrast with color; chrome and aluminum can get boring. The crappy stock rally rims I have give me an area to paint and add some flash with an old school look.

You can see my car is a formula, and I have bias toward the styling. THe scoops are not functional like the early trans ams, but I think they look cool and you don´t see them all the time like the shaker hood (which nobody will contest is awesome). Cowls are ok, but in my opinion they´re very played out and don´t distinguish your car as a firebird.

THere´s some pinstriping on my car that you can see particularly around the front which is ok, all sorts of trim pasted to the side of it, some of which I could do with, and some without. YOu´ll notice I got rid of the chrome around the wheel well in the back (area recently painted) and its a no-brainer that it looks much better without.

Spoiler yes. Rears of these cars are kind of dumpy-looking without.

Hope some of that helped, thanks for the discussion, learning a lot-

K
keeping the stock look with the stock PMD rims is smart. your 77 is one of the best i've ever seen. the only suggestions i can make are, fix your hood fitment, remove that door ding strip and trash the front plate.

Last edited by tab; 10-25-2010 at 10:22 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:18 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Here it is, OPINION time, I don't like it. There are only a few cars those hoods look good on and this isn't one of them.

No scoop or the stock Trans Am are the only options if you ask me. I mean that scoop IS a GM design, did they put them on that body, nope. Look at all the hoods they put on those F bodies of that vintage, they put a lot of different scoops, none of them look like that because they don't fit that body well.

Just my opinion.

Brian
i agree..... this guy can't spend a lot of money but the trans am clone look looks good and is cost effective. all you need is a hood, scoop and spoiler which can be found on craigslist or ebay. i have a feeling he's going to ruin his bird with expensive mods that do not fit the car.... heck, you don't even need a new hood, just cut a hole for the shaker scoop.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:01 AM
the Clever Turn Signal

Last photo:

Firebirds and Trans Ams have A LOT of style from the factory. They were a little gaudy (in a good way) which pinned down the style to that era. It was gaudy with style. A lot of people like me liked that kind of flavor often because it represents a time and a style of days we want to remember.

With such a huge selection of new fancy cookie cutter rims I have some how become more old school. I absolutely HATE 16, 17" rims on older cars. I hate rims where the face is at the outside of the wheel. I realize the advantage for brakes. I hate low profile tires on older cars. I see them done and they look like a trend; baggy jeans around some ones waste with their underwear hanging out.

New cars designed around low profile cookie cutter tires, fine. It is how they were designed. I truly believe one day people will wake up and go "Wow, smaller rim, lots of rubber, cool idea!" I like rubber and proper rim size on an old car. If it's a drag racer bigger rim is fine along with a bigger tire.

Cookie cutter, gold jewelry "Mr T" fashion rims just don't do it for me. I like the older cast looking, or rims of the era. I had a flat on my 73 TA one day, ran home and grabbed my 76' Olds Cutlass rims. I was surprised how good they looked.

I have a 73 with Honey combs (which are not for everyone). The stock tires did seem kind of thin or small so I put slightly larger tires which fill up the wheel well better:

http://www.rc-tech.net/cars2/them.jpg

I also have a Pantera I am building. Many people like the larger 17"/19" wheels for these cars. Everyone seems to go that way so a lot jump on the band wagon. I absolutely hate it. It cheapens the car. Makes them look like Toyotas or hondas:

http://www.chooseyouritem.com/exotic...so.Pantera.jpg

Its like taking a rubix cube form the 70's and painting it with modern paint. It's no longer a 70's rubix cube but a cheap trinket.

I had 17" wheels on mine which I did not care for before the restoration. found some of the old Group 4 racing wheels for the Pantera which take it back to 1971 racing Lemans!

http://www.rc-tech.net/pantera1/InPrimmer.jpg

http://www.pantera-gallery.com/pics/GT4atLemans72.jpg

While the car is not exactly a 1971 version so to speak I like the feel the rims of that era give it.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:05 AM
the Clever Turn Signal

Last photo:

I wondered what minilites would look like?

Old 10-26-2010, 09:54 AM

Last photo:

GOW589: you have your pantera jacked up with paint cans?

i never did like red firebirds, honeycombs or that big hood decal, but your 73 looks great. the MG is a gem...
Old 10-26-2010, 11:09 AM
the Clever Turn Signal

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tab
GOW589: you have your pantera jacked up with paint cans?

i never did like red firebirds, honeycombs or that big hood decal, but your 73 looks great. the MG is a gem...
The Pantera is a shell. Trying to see what the wheels would look like.

When I was 17 I had a $500 car. I found a TA just like it for about $2k. Dad said no. I had wanted one ever since. It cost me 10x as much but I finally got one. It's kind of like a duck forming on it's mother. That imprint never goes away. I ended up with a Cutlass like one in the photo.

If you look at the MG it has a GM V6. The Cutlass was from a year where it was not to special or collectible but I liked them. They made 500,000+ of them in 76. Highest produced car on planet earth. BUT... a small percentage had T-Tops, a small percentage had 455....About 76 of them had both and that is one. Fun car.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:59 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Alright a couple more choices:

The last picture is kinda small but the rims are basically American Racing's version of Weld pro stars.
The first ones are 18's, the second ones are 17's, and the last ones are 15's
Old 10-26-2010, 06:06 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerformula
This is a great thread, just happen to have a ´77 myself and you guys have great ideas! Here´s my .02-

I did the older school big white letter tires thing with mine. Its an inexpensive option and carries the muscle car look. I do like the low pros I saw in some photos earlier in this thread, but as far as aftermarket rims are concerned I think you´re going to be paying some big money for something that may or may not look that great and as mentioned before, age well. Unless you´re swapping to rear disc you´ve got very little to show off with open rims, and for that reason I like the stockers. Also, I really feel like your rims are another place to add some contrast with color; chrome and aluminum can get boring. The crappy stock rally rims I have give me an area to paint and add some flash with an old school look.

You can see my car is a formula, and I have bias toward the styling. THe scoops are not functional like the early trans ams, but I think they look cool and you don´t see them all the time like the shaker hood (which nobody will contest is awesome). Cowls are ok, but in my opinion they´re very played out and don´t distinguish your car as a firebird.

THere´s some pinstriping on my car that you can see particularly around the front which is ok, all sorts of trim pasted to the side of it, some of which I could do with, and some without. YOu´ll notice I got rid of the chrome around the wheel well in the back (area recently painted) and its a no-brainer that it looks much better without.

Spoiler yes. Rears of these cars are kind of dumpy-looking without.

Hope some of that helped, thanks for the discussion, learning a lot-

K
That's a Killer looking ride you got there Killer. Pun intended Really a sweet ride.

Cole
Old 10-26-2010, 06:40 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog7373

The last picture is kinda small but the rims are basically American Racing's version of Weld pro stars.
Did anyone check these out? What do you think?
Old 10-26-2010, 06:43 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Out of those if i had to pick it would be the pro star, But not really a big fan but i do like them ok. JMO

Cole
Old 10-26-2010, 06:55 PM
More for Less Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog7373

No on #1 too plain, a yes on #2, a maybe/yes on #3 but #3 has been done a lot.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:57 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

the first 2 actually came off a trans am.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.