Hot Rod Forum banner

Exterior ideas for firebird

24K views 170 replies 18 participants last post by  bigdog7373 
#1 ·
I wanna give my firebird a cool but aggressive look. Any suggestions? Also, if anyone has a good idea for a paint job i'd like to hear it cuz it needs it bad. I attached some pictures so you can see what i have to work with. I want to start with putting the spoiler back on and painting the grills in the front black. Thanks guys. :thumbup:

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
cowl hood

Also I like shaker hoods a lot. But I saw one of these at the show that had a small cowl hood and it looked freekin great. I was half tempted to go buy one for my 77 the next day..... Had I more money I prob would have. It worth looking into. I really liked how it looked.

#6 ·
I would put a dark blue tint on the windows, put the snowflake wheels on it from a T/A and chrome exhaust tips .Then get the original decal of the firebird for the hood.Make sure the tires have VERY bright white lettering too. :thumbup:

#12 ·
Personally I like the 77. I think wheels and tires are the most that should be changed. And not for the "seventies" look, I am thinking something that you would see on a HOT 2010 Camaro, Mustang or Charger.

I am thinking for a spoiler something a little more subtle than the giant three piece that GM used at that time, how about the small little 1970 Z/28 one?

The right wheels and tires will make all the difference in the world!

This one is HOT, no paint changes, no shaker hood, no big spoiler, just the right tires and wheels lowered a little bit......HOT baby HOT.

That's what I'm talking about!

Brian

#14 ·
bigdog7373 said:
to me it is. and its my dd. great ideas so far guys, im gonna look into the cowl hood.
That cars desirable if you like it! I'm a huge fan of the 2nd Gen F-bodies, but of course I do like the 67-69 firebirds... used to have a 1969 firebird that unfortunately I never finished. I consider the 1969 firebird the least known, and rarest of the birds... I prefer the 1979 the best.

That said, I'd put Trans-am Fenders, Spoiler, and some combination of cool looking hood and wheels. Next, I'd put in a nice LSX motor... so If you ever decided to sell it you'd get a good price. Personally, I don't want a car if it's stock. Factory stock hubcabs and steel wheels look great? Give me a break, they never did and never will.

Also, since it's not a special model, that gives you every right to chop it up, and make it into a one of a kind original model. Factory cars are extremely boring and unoriginal. People judge a 60's-70's car on what motor they originally had, and their original jello suspension systems... None of that matters unless your going back boring stock, because none of the original suspension or engine usually is any good due to miles.

So with that said it's your car, and you can build a dream car out of it.

#19 ·
Mr.Bolt-on said:
That cars desirable if you like it! I'm a huge fan of the 2nd Gen F-bodies, but of course I do like the 67-69 firebirds... used to have a 1969 firebird that unfortunately I never finished. I consider the 1969 firebird the least known, and rarest of the birds... I prefer the 1979 the best.

That said, I'd put Trans-am Fenders, Spoiler, and some combination of cool looking hood and wheels. Next, I'd put in a nice LSX motor... so If you ever decided to sell it you'd get a good price. Personally, I don't want a car if it's stock. Factory stock hubcabs and steel wheels look great? Give me a break, they never did and never will.

Also, since it's not a special model, that gives you every right to chop it up, and make it into a one of a kind original model. Factory cars are extremely boring and unoriginal. People judge a 60's-70's car on what motor they originally had, and their original jello suspension systems... None of that matters unless your going back boring stock, because none of the original suspension or engine usually is any good due to miles.

So with that said it's your car, and you can build a dream car out of it.
The one thing I have to say is leaving something "stock" as in totally original in the form that it rolled off the assembly line is "boring". I LOVE a totally original car for what it is, ORIGINAL. But other than that, I am with you, I am not big on the poor fit and finish of a car like that seventies Firebird.

HOWEVER, when someone spends the time that has obviously been spent on this black Firebird ....

It is FAR from "boring". The detail that has been spent making it straight and perfectly fit panels makes it a stand out, at least to me. When walking thru a Goodguys show a car with special detail, that "extra" touch that says "I have been touched on every square inch" gets my head to spin a lot more than a car with a bunch of stuff bolted on that doesn't have that "I have been touched on every square inch" look.

The proper stance, just the right amount of SUBTLE changes can make a car a MUCH bigger stand out than shocking, belly button changes that everyone else is doing.

Of course when we talk about OPINIONS like these we all have different ones, I am just stating mine. :thumbup:

Brian

#20 ·
Martinsr,

I agree with you on that firebird, and know what you mean about spending time on the body instead of just adding hoods and spoilers. Sometimes less is more... ALOT more.

When I go to a car show, I look for the cars that have been touched all over, and you can tell those apart from some of the ones that were just put together... you know the ones with the none buffed paint, and gapped panels.

That firebird looks really nice with that cut and buffed black, plus with the deep dish wheels out back. It reminds me of a 1996 cobra I did in all black, it had deep dish torque thrust wheels in the back... the body was stock, but I spent so much time just sanding and buffing the car. It really paid off, and when I watched the car drive away all you could see were the trees surrounding the car because it mirrored so good.

I believe bigdog should leave the body stock, maybe add the duck tail spoiler... then a nice set of 17 or 18 inch wheels with deep dish in the back. I believe he would really really appreciate a nice completely cut and buffed black paint job. Internet pictures really don't do it justice...

#22 ·
bigdog: i didn't mean to diss your ride but any bird past 73 is going to take an act of allah to make it look good. you could sell that 77 and buy a nice older bird for little or no cash outlay. here's my 72 that i sold long ago. this pic does not do it justice however. no modifications required to make it a head-turner....

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.