Exterior ideas for firebird - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2010, 10:22 AM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Here's a few more to look at.

Cole
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	!B30iK1QBWk~$(KGrHqYOKjwE)pCm(T7!BMnpFzlWiQ~~_1.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	49136   Click image for larger version

Name:	17859388-491-Firebird-Drag-Car-Back-Half-Big-Tire-Dra.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	49137   Click image for larger version

Name:	17859392-922-Firebird-Drag-Car-Back-Half-Big-Tire-Dra.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	49138  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2010, 10:50 AM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

You're right, that hood does look good. For paint i wanted to do something like this: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...:1&um=1&itbs=1 or this: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...1t:429,r:0,s:0 I think the dark red looks great on these cars.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:10 AM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

And for wheels what do you think about these?: http://www.jegs.com/i/Detroit+Wheels...5761B/10002/-1
http://www.jegs.com/i/Cragar/260/3975734P/10002/-1
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...w=7&vid=008835
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...7.5&vid=008835
Old 10-23-2010, 11:34 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,230 Times in 1,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bolt-on
That cars desirable if you like it! I'm a huge fan of the 2nd Gen F-bodies, but of course I do like the 67-69 firebirds... used to have a 1969 firebird that unfortunately I never finished. I consider the 1969 firebird the least known, and rarest of the birds... I prefer the 1979 the best.

That said, I'd put Trans-am Fenders, Spoiler, and some combination of cool looking hood and wheels. Next, I'd put in a nice LSX motor... so If you ever decided to sell it you'd get a good price. Personally, I don't want a car if it's stock. Factory stock hubcabs and steel wheels look great? Give me a break, they never did and never will.

Also, since it's not a special model, that gives you every right to chop it up, and make it into a one of a kind original model. Factory cars are extremely boring and unoriginal. People judge a 60's-70's car on what motor they originally had, and their original jello suspension systems... None of that matters unless your going back boring stock, because none of the original suspension or engine usually is any good due to miles.

So with that said it's your car, and you can build a dream car out of it.
The one thing I have to say is leaving something "stock" as in totally original in the form that it rolled off the assembly line is "boring". I LOVE a totally original car for what it is, ORIGINAL. But other than that, I am with you, I am not big on the poor fit and finish of a car like that seventies Firebird.

HOWEVER, when someone spends the time that has obviously been spent on this black Firebird ....

It is FAR from "boring". The detail that has been spent making it straight and perfectly fit panels makes it a stand out, at least to me. When walking thru a Goodguys show a car with special detail, that "extra" touch that says "I have been touched on every square inch" gets my head to spin a lot more than a car with a bunch of stuff bolted on that doesn't have that "I have been touched on every square inch" look.

The proper stance, just the right amount of SUBTLE changes can make a car a MUCH bigger stand out than shocking, belly button changes that everyone else is doing.

Of course when we talk about OPINIONS like these we all have different ones, I am just stating mine.

Brian
Old 10-23-2010, 01:07 PM

Martinsr,

I agree with you on that firebird, and know what you mean about spending time on the body instead of just adding hoods and spoilers. Sometimes less is more... ALOT more.

When I go to a car show, I look for the cars that have been touched all over, and you can tell those apart from some of the ones that were just put together... you know the ones with the none buffed paint, and gapped panels.

That firebird looks really nice with that cut and buffed black, plus with the deep dish wheels out back. It reminds me of a 1996 cobra I did in all black, it had deep dish torque thrust wheels in the back... the body was stock, but I spent so much time just sanding and buffing the car. It really paid off, and when I watched the car drive away all you could see were the trees surrounding the car because it mirrored so good.

I believe bigdog should leave the body stock, maybe add the duck tail spoiler... then a nice set of 17 or 18 inch wheels with deep dish in the back. I believe he would really really appreciate a nice completely cut and buffed black paint job. Internet pictures really don't do it justice...
Old 10-23-2010, 01:25 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Alright this seems to have turned into an argument somehow. So, what do you guys think about the rims and paint job I put links to?

Last edited by bigdog7373; 10-23-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:55 PM

Last photo:

bigdog: i didn't mean to diss your ride but any bird past 73 is going to take an act of allah to make it look good. you could sell that 77 and buy a nice older bird for little or no cash outlay. here's my 72 that i sold long ago. this pic does not do it justice however. no modifications required to make it a head-turner....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	firebird.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	49148  
Old 10-23-2010, 02:01 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Well this is my only car so i can't sell it. It's also pretty hard to find old cars where i am that aren't completely rusted out.
Do you think this cowl is too big?
Old 10-23-2010, 02:04 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
YES! if you are going to work with this 77 i suggest that you turn it into a trans am clone with a shaker hood and TA spoilers. that's all it needs...
Old 10-23-2010, 02:09 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Well i don't have alot of money to spend on it right now and i'm not trying to make it worth alot of money, i just want it to look cool.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:09 PM

Last journal entry: Paint
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog7373
Well this is my only car so i can't sell it. It's also pretty hard to find old cars where i am that aren't completely rusted out.
Cowl hoods are a Chevy thing. Lots of those Pontiac guys have a complex with Chevys. For some reason they think GM screwed over Pontiac or something.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:12 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

For paint i wanted to do something like this: http://www.classiccarstudio.com/imag...ion/1058/1.jpg or this: http://www.carsbykris.com/1600site/g...rmfirebird.jpg

And for wheels what do you think about these?: http://www.jegs.com/i/Detroit+Wheels...5761B/10002/-1
or these: http://www.jegs.com/i/Cragar/260/3975734P/10002/-1
or these: http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...w=7&vid=008835
or these: http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...7.5&vid=008835

Last edited by bigdog7373; 10-23-2010 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:36 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Alright this seems to have turned into an argument somehow. So, what do you guys think about the rims and paint job I put links to?

No argument, we are just discussing this, no big deal.

I personally think being it is your only car and you don't have a bunch of dough, keep it simple and clean.

Brian
Old 10-23-2010, 02:38 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Alright, no problem. I want to put new rims on so which of the 4 do you think would look best? Or if you have any other suggestions for rims that cost around 100 bucks a piece.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:40 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Here it is, OPINION time, I don't like it. There are only a few cars those hoods look good on and this isn't one of them.

No scoop or the stock Trans Am are the only options if you ask me. I mean that scoop IS a GM design, did they put them on that body, nope. Look at all the hoods they put on those F bodies of that vintage, they put a lot of different scoops, none of them look like that because they don't fit that body well.

Just my opinion.

Brian

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.