Hot Rod Forum banner

External Cooler Or Not?

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  fasteddy_1947 
#1 ·
I know this has been discussed numerous times, but wanted to ask for some current thoughts on running an external trans cooler or not. I know this is a must for towing vehicles etc, but for my application I am really questioning rather it is necessary. That said, I am running a pretty stock chevy small block with a T350 tranny in a 50 Ford. Currently, there is an external cooler in front of the radiator. Do you guys think this is necessary in a stock application? I really would like to eliminate as it is not installed properly in the first place, but if it is needed I need to correct the installation etc. Or replace with a better cooler setup.

Thanks!!

#2 ·
If you have one inside the rad. You shouldn't need one..I never run one inside the rad, Don't need any thing adding heat to the water,, Just my way of thinking,, I always run one like this under the car where it can get a good air flow...

Attachments

#3 ·
If you have one inside the rad. You shouldn't need one..I never run one inside the rad, Don't need any thing adding heat to the water,, Just my way of thinking,, I always run one like this under the car where it can get a good air flow...

I was thinking the exact setup you posted here. If I run an external cooler I would like to tuck it under on the frame to a keep clean look and away from hot exhaust temps under the hood. I had a cooler on my last project (23 T-Bucket) that was mounted under the body. Looks like you have a C-Cab...very cool! Thanks!!

#5 ·
I was following your build on the tbucketeers forum, but lost track of it as i am not on the foumn very much any more since selling my bucket. I also caught your build on Gearz. You have some awesome fab skills my friend. Anyway, thanks again for your help.

By the way, where do you usually mount your cooler along the frame?

#8 ·
Thanks for the kind words,, Yes I seen it on Gearz last night again,, Still funny to watch..:D

I mount it off the frame, Sometimes off the bottom of the car,, Depends where I have a good clear shot with no heat around close..

Glade to help out..;)

#12 ·
You missed my irony.
I run my trans with an external cooler, the trans fluid does not run through my rad, no provision for it to do so.
It takes forever for the trans fluid to warm up let alone get hot.
I can run my Camaro for an hour to the coast at 90mph and the trans is still not hot enough to burn off contaminants in the fluid.
Even in traffic it does not heat up, keeping it out of overdrive for a while does get some heat in there.I´ve also got a thermostat to control the trans fluid, it fully opens at 180º.
The manufacturer runs the fluid through the rad to get the fluid hot, that burns off accumulating muck in the fluid.
Think about an engine running at 240º, do you think the water in that rad is cooling the trans fluid ?
An external radiator is usually added for towing to bring the temperatures back to some kind of equilibrium.

#13 ·
I have one of those large single pass coolers I bought at a swap meet and haven't gotten it put on yet. But can someone tell me what the difference there is between the singe pass and the double pass coolers. Mine is the large single pass cooler. Mine is the long two foot single pass and I though about disconnecting my rad and using this only.

#14 ·
Been running the same TH350 in my 51 (Chev) coupe now for over 20 years. First year after I built it, had trans cooler made into bottom radiator tank. One of the cooling lines leaked and lost all my fluid and killed my trans before I knew it. The first indication was smoke (fluid blowing out directly on muffler) and trans slipping, but was too far from anywhere to fix it. Had it towed home ($) and rebuild trans ($). I did the loop-back on the cooler line fittings. about foot and half or 2 ft of tubing after all the bends/fittings where made. Have driven it coast-to-coast (Cal. to Fla.) and half way back (live in Texas now) with no further trouble with the transmission. Its still running strong. Was thinking couple years ago to get some line and reconnect the cooler, but never got around to it and don't think after all these years it needs it. The TH350, I think worst thing you can do to it is give it a connectors/fittings/hoses that leak. Loss of fluid will kill it in a heartbeat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.