Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - External Cooler Or Not?
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 10:56 PM

Last journal entry: Old guy's low cost Chev coup.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Been running the same TH350 in my 51 (Chev) coupe now for over 20 years. First year after I built it, had trans cooler made into bottom radiator tank. One of the cooling lines leaked and lost all my fluid and killed my trans before I knew it. The first indication was smoke (fluid blowing out directly on muffler) and trans slipping, but was too far from anywhere to fix it. Had it towed home ($) and rebuild trans ($). I did the loop-back on the cooler line fittings. about foot and half or 2 ft of tubing after all the bends/fittings where made. Have driven it coast-to-coast (Cal. to Fla.) and half way back (live in Texas now) with no further trouble with the transmission. Its still running strong. Was thinking couple years ago to get some line and reconnect the cooler, but never got around to it and don't think after all these years it needs it. The TH350, I think worst thing you can do to it is give it a connectors/fittings/hoses that leak. Loss of fluid will kill it in a heartbeat.