External slash vent on quadrajet? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2012, 02:08 PM
Skylark

Last journal entry: 70 SF 455 project
Wiki Edits: 0

External slash vent on quadrajet?

The quadrajet that I'm practicing with, I noticed it is different than my Buick quadrajet. I think it's called external slash vent. I tried find more information on it but no luck. Maybe someone can explain what it use for. My guess is it's controlled by accelerate pump to non pressurized fuel bowl while stomp on the gas to allow fuel drain faster to prevent fuel being glupping from bowl being pressurized.

What's pros and cons about this?

This seem a good feature but why not all quadrajet has it?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2012, 06:31 AM

Most quadrajets have a vent tube sticking straight up from the top, and on Chevy's its usually in the front in the middle. Its just a vent for the float bowl, and it may be cut straight or slashed. On some non-Chevy quadrajets the vent tube is off center, so the air cleaner has to be designed to fit the carb.

Bruce
Old 06-12-2012, 01:24 PM
Skylark

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75gmck25
Most quadrajets have a vent tube sticking straight up from the top, and on Chevy's its usually in the front in the middle. Its just a vent for the float bowl, and it may be cut straight or slashed. On some non-Chevy quadrajets the vent tube is off center, so the air cleaner has to be designed to fit the carb.

Bruce

Old 06-12-2012, 03:10 PM

This link on Cliff Ruggles site has some information on the slashed vent quadrajet used by Buick.

http://www.cliffshighperformance.com...history_3.html

Bruce
Old 06-12-2012, 03:27 PM

vent on quadrajet

Hi freddy,, my quadrajet has the style of vent your carb has .. It opens at WOT , and has a wire looped around the arm on top of the pump rod. it lifts the rubber cap off the vent..... I don't see the wire in your pic.... jim
Old 06-12-2012, 03:33 PM
Skylark

Quote:
Originally Posted by 327 / 350 hp
Hi freddy,, my quadrajet has the style of vent your carb has .. It opens at WOT , and has a wire looped around the arm on top of the pump rod. it lifts the rubber cap off the vent..... I don't see the wire in your pic.... jim
It does have wire that connect to accelerator pump rod. I took them off to practice rebuilding. I just wanted to know what's this vent's purpose reason.

Last edited by Freddyfingaz83; 06-12-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:18 PM
Skylark

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75gmck25
This link on Cliff Ruggles site has some information on the slashed vent quadrajet used by Buick.

http://www.cliffshighperformance.com...history_3.html

Bruce

Thanks for this link. I don't see any detail explain but it said external was changed into internal to be more durable. My guess That's because external vent doesn't have any dirt protection where it has an opening space to allow dirty come in that damaging engine. Just guessing. I'm trying find more solid information just for my curiously.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:28 PM
Skylark

Quote:
Originally Posted by 327 / 350 hp

Here's other pic with fully assembly before I tear it apart.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:31 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Your carb has the relatively rare adjustable off idle air bleed circuit, the screw is under the triangular spring metal piece pushed over the front vent tube. A bit of info on it is here, under ADJUSTABLE MAIN WELL BLEED.

The front vent you are asking about is known as a Thermostatic Idle Vent, you can search for more on it. It was used through '74 according to my notes.

There was a later vent system used that was on the back of the carb, called the "hot idle compensator" vent. Q-jets all have the casting for it (like the front thermo vent on that style casting), but it's rarely actually used. This can cause guys to think their carb might be missing parts when they're actually not.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:03 PM
Skylark

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
Your carb has the relatively rare adjustable off idle air bleed circuit, the screw is under the triangular spring metal piece pushed over the front vent tube. A bit of info on it is here, under ADJUSTABLE MAIN WELL BLEED.

The front vent you are asking about is known as a Thermostatic Idle Vent, you can search for more on it. It was used through '74 according to my notes.

There was a later vent system used that was on the back of the carb, called the "hot idle compensator" vent. Q-jets all have the casting for it (like the front thermo vent on that style casting), but it's rarely actually used. This can cause guys to think their carb might be missing parts when they're actually not.

Thank you for this information. Thumb up!
Old 06-12-2012, 06:18 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Depending on what year and engine it came off from, you might want to do a little research on your carburetor some of those older Buick Q-Jets were 750 CFM carbs. If it is don't mess it up. I believe most Q-Jets were 650's
Old 06-12-2012, 06:33 PM
Skylark

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothboy
Depending on what year and engine it came off from, you might want to do a little research on your carburetor some of those older Buick Q-Jets were 750 CFM carbs. If it is don't mess it up. I believe most Q-Jets were 650's

I have no plans with it but to practicing rebuild to get better understanding how quadrajet work. It's actually is Carter qjet that I got from junk 69 Pontiac grand pix
Old 06-12-2012, 06:40 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothboy
Close- Buick first started using the 800 casting, then the other makes followed suit for their performance engines. The 'regular' casting is rated at 750 cfm.

Pontiac used a one-year-only Q-jet in '71 that had the primary boosters cut down to a single ring. They flowed a little more at WOT but lacked throttle response, so was quickly discontinued.

Strange as it sounds, the best carbs today to use came on the GM trucks up through '86. They were non computer controlled, and almost all were the single main air bleed-type carbs w/the large 800 cfm casting. The 800 cfm casting was even used stock on the 4.3L V6 engines in those trucks!

More here.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:48 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Quote:
Close- Buick first started using the 800 casting, then the other makes followed suit for their performance engines. The 'regular' casting is rated at 750 cfm.

Pontiac used a one-year-only Q-jet in '71 that had the primary boosters cut down to a single ring. They flowed a little more at WOT but lacked throttle response, so was quickly discontinued.

Strange as it sounds, the best carbs today to use came on the GM trucks up through '86. They were non computer controlled, and almost all were the single main air bleed-type carbs w/the large 800 cfm casting. The 800 cfm casting was even used stock on the 4.3L V6 engines in those trucks!

More here.
Well there you go.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:28 PM
Skylark

Quote:

More here.

Interesting. I gotta hit junkyard for that qjet for my modified 454.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.