external voltage regulator conversion to a new alternator/regulator in my 1970 chevel - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2012, 06:30 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

external voltage regulator conversion to a new alternator/regulator in my 1970 chevel

I followed directions from the internet and jumpered the blue and brown wires together at the old location of the external regulator, and then capped off the yellow and orange wires at that location. Then at the alternator end I ran the blue wire that came from the brown/blue connection into the number 1 pin of the new alternator and a red jumper to the number 2 pin from the battery connection. and just capping off the yellow wire. Upon starting the engine and checking voltage I have 13.7 volts which is excellent. the problem I have is WITH THE KEY IN THE OFF POSITION, MY GENERATOR LIGHT ON THE DASH REMAINS ON. Then when I turn the key to the on position before starting the light will go off. Can someone help me with this, and have a diagram of what i must be missing. Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2012, 08:28 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

will this helphttp://www.oldengine.org/unfaq/10si.htm http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...evymain1.shtml
here is a diagram

Last edited by Cape Cod Bob; 06-05-2012 at 08:42 PM. Reason: add info
Old 06-06-2012, 02:32 AM

Last photo:

Here is the conversion dia. For some reason you are the second person that's followed the internet version and has had trouble.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12sialt.jpg
Views:	1390
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	65863  
Old 06-06-2012, 08:01 AM

Thanks EOD I will give this hookup a try on my chevelle, I'll let you know if i got it right.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:33 PM

Last photo:

Make sure you double check the#1 and #2 connector for orinetation, I didn't and ended up reversing them and it cost me a battery and an alt before I figured it out
Old 06-07-2012, 02:36 PM

Last photo:

I did it the same as eod guy's attachment and had exactly the same problem. I thought it might be because the alternator was self exciting. I have 12v at terminals #1 & #2. This was on a 67 Firebird.

Mike
Old 06-07-2012, 06:47 PM

Last photo:

Blue and brown spliced together with the blue wire going to the #1 terminal on the alt. (brown wire is the exciter wire, tied to the idiot light, and tells the alt to start putting out juice)

Red and White spliced together with the red wire going to the #2 terminal on the alt (white wire is the sense wire and tells the alt to put out more or less juice depending on the elec demand on the system).
You can run a jumper wire from the lg lug on the back of the alt to the #2 terminal and create a one wire alt...... I'm not a fan on doing this because #2 terminal is the sense wire. GM took advantage of the long run of wire from the #2 terminal all the way over to the voltage reg for resistance and the alt gets a truer sense for the demand etc....

You need to run at least a 10 gauge from the junction terminal on the radiator support over to the horn relay in conjunction with the old wire already there. Before my re-wire, I ran a new 8 gauge from the lg lug on the alt to the horn relay and a 8 gauge from the horn relay to the junction terminal then an 8 gauge to the battery........ I did this because the junction terminal actually melted and I didn't want a complete melt down……. soon after I did the re-wire and protected the whole system with a 70 amp maxi fuse.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.