Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Extra Credit Report about a Hemi
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2005, 12:02 PM
bentwings

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

tossed parts

Willys,
Normally I'd be all over ya for trashing original tin on these rare cars, but the Willys at least the 40-41 were probably the sorriest excuse of a car ever made. Replacing a fender was more like installing a custom made piece with original tin. For the most part getting rid of the tin was the best thing that happened to them. Fortunately a few good rodders patched the stuff up and made a few good cars for plugs for todays plastic fantastics. My A&C 41 is nearly perfect right from the box. No flash No mold lines, nothing. It is smooth and ripple free. I put a few nicks and scratches in the body in the garage but that's it. Even the hood to fender and center section fit is not too bad.
Some one told me that the originals didn't last 5 years before they rusted out plus there was poor support for the body so it broke up from the frame twisting and vibrating. There are very very few tin cars left that were not racers at one time. I saw one last year that went for better than 25k unrestored. I bet it would take another 25k just to restore what was left of the body.

So in the end pal, you did all us Willys owners a great favor. haha