Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Extra Credit Report about a Hemi
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2005, 12:39 PM
Senior Curmudgeon
Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,153 Posts
Originally Posted by Centerline
You are so far off...... As has been said earlier European designers were building hemi head internal combustion racing engines as early as 1912, a full year before Henry established the first assembly line.

Next time do yourself a favor and do a little research..... It just might save you from showing a distinct lack of knowledge on whatever subject is being discussed.
Yep, I've seen a photo of a 1912 Peugeot hemi.
Silent, I don't know if you ever found the answers as to what makes the hemi such a superior design, but two of the characteristics I remember are...
1. Flame Propogation: with the centrally located spark plug, the flame front has an better chance of travelling to all the areas of the combustion chamber in the available time, giving a more complete burn to the mixture as opposed to a quench design.
2. Surface to volume ratio: it is beneficial to present as little surface area as possible to the burn to prevent as little heat transfer to the cooling system as possible. The hemi design offers a smaller ratio over a quench design.

Last edited by techinspector1; 11-01-2005 at 12:49 PM.