Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Extra Credit Report about a Hemi
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2005, 11:39 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline
You are so far off...... As has been said earlier European designers were building hemi head internal combustion racing engines as early as 1912, a full year before Henry established the first assembly line.

Next time do yourself a favor and do a little research..... It just might save you from showing a distinct lack of knowledge on whatever subject is being discussed.
Yep, I've seen a photo of a 1912 Peugeot hemi.
Silent, I don't know if you ever found the answers as to what makes the hemi such a superior design, but two of the characteristics I remember are...
1. Flame Propogation: with the centrally located spark plug, the flame front has an better chance of travelling to all the areas of the combustion chamber in the available time, giving a more complete burn to the mixture as opposed to a quench design.
2. Surface to volume ratio: it is beneficial to present as little surface area as possible to the burn to prevent as little heat transfer to the cooling system as possible. The hemi design offers a smaller ratio over a quench design.

Last edited by techinspector1; 11-01-2005 at 11:49 AM.