extra heater core? or what is it. stock '51 Chevy - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2012, 07:11 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

extra heater core? or what is it. stock '51 Chevy

Replaced the coolant hoses on my '51 Chevy when I got home from work. 1 of the heater hoses runs into the passanger side fresh air box, has 2 fittings, 1 in and 1 out. There also very hard to get to, especially with the road tube right next to the inlet side... anyone know what it does? I have a '37-'53 Motors manual but it does not cover it..The hoses are replaced and it's fine but, I'm just curious. coolant that came out of that section was a bit nasty. I'm going to flush it out

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2012, 12:29 PM
It's slow, not to low.....yet.

Last journal entry: 1951 Styleline DeLuxe
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I also have a 51 chevy and I believe they go into the heater box under the dash. One from the water pump and one into the passenger airbox, right?
Old 03-16-2012, 01:42 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Each time I start on a new project, I purchase the original factory service manual for it, either an original or a reprint. You would be well-advised to do the same.
http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/1...nt-P10135.aspx
I've used Faxon as a source for these for decades.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:30 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,062 Times in 947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1
Each time I start on a new project, I purchase the original factory service manual for it, either an original or a reprint. You would be well-advised to do the same.
http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/1...nt-P10135.aspx
I've used Faxon as a source for these for decades.

Here, here, I have learned this much too late in life. I wouldn't live without a manual for my cars now. I am blown away with how much I get out of them. I have done this stuff for a living for 35 years and I "thought" I knew better than to need one of these manuals, I was dead wrong.

Brian
Old 03-16-2012, 03:46 PM

Last photo:

The original manual is on the old car manual project. I checked there, but it doesent refrence it.. It's good for other things, but it's bookmarked. My 1953 edition Motors manual covers 90% of what I need.

I did buy a reprint owners manual.. I still have an orig Rambler TSM I got from Faxxon

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com...shop/index.htm
Old 03-16-2012, 03:49 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low n' 51ow
I also have a 51 chevy and I believe they go into the heater box under the dash. One from the water pump and one into the passenger airbox, right?
The core is behind the firewall. Unless the fresh air box on that side is heated by the hose for in traffic where the AIR control should be closed ( it's in the owners manual ) due to carbon monoxide.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:55 PM
It's slow, not to low.....yet.

Last journal entry: 1951 Styleline DeLuxe
Last photo:

first off....

First off, I'm sure you two are the only ones who have thought to consult a factory manual, because who in their right mind would ever think to look there. You guys are the only ones to know this valuable piece of information.........really???? Give me a break. if you want to suggest something, do it without the "My god, it's soooo obvious". Well advise yourself to some mannners.

Matt167 is right, I also have the manual (in print and bookmarked online) and it doesn't reference this part. AT ALL.

However, after closer inspection on my own 51 once I got home from work, it appears there is a valve on the inside of the firewall. Mine is attached to a cable that also increases the heat. It appears that the heater core is in the passenger side air vent and and,at least in my car, that when you call for temperature it lets more hot "water"(yes, I know it's not actually water) through the core and opens the ventilation system more. See pictures for more detail. Hope it helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	005.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	64051   Click image for larger version

Name:	007.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	64052  
Old 03-16-2012, 08:19 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Death to spammers

Quote:
Originally Posted by debrajt01
I believe they go into the heater box under the dash. One from the water pump and one into the passenger airbox.
Been reported.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:11 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
First off, I'm sure you two are the only ones who have thought to consult a factory manual, because who in their right mind would ever think to look there. You guys are the only ones to know this valuable piece of information.........really???? Give me a break. if you want to suggest something, do it without the "My god, it's soooo obvious". Well advise yourself to some mannners.
And YOU are accusing US of a problem with manners? You read an insult into the comments, we didn't need to put them here.

Brian
Old 03-17-2012, 08:20 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Thank you for your meaningful addition to the conversation. Always good to hear from the trolls.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:49 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
Replaced the coolant hoses on my '51 Chevy when I got home from work. 1 of the heater hoses runs into the passanger side fresh air box, has 2 fittings, 1 in and 1 out. There also very hard to get to, especially with the road tube right next to the inlet side... anyone know what it does? I have a '37-'53 Motors manual but it does not cover it..The hoses are replaced and it's fine but, I'm just curious. coolant that came out of that section was a bit nasty. I'm going to flush it out
What Low-n-slow discovered was the "Heater control valve". They are usually mounted on the motor it's self as you can see in the photo I attached of my Rambler. It's right on the top of the motor (the head) at the back under the large black square on the firewall which holds the heater core. You can see that one hose is going from the heater control valve to the heater core. The other hose from the heater core is going to the water pump on the front of the motor. This valve opens up to allow hot "water" from the engines cooling system into the heater core so the heater fan can blow the air over the core putting hot air inside your car.

I didn't think to suggest when I first responded to your post what it could be as your car is one I have no experience with and didn't have a clue as to what it was you were describing. But along with Low-n-slows photos and a little google search it sounds like that is what you are looking at, the "Heater control valve" which are sometimes located in the system somewhere and not on the engine it's self like all the heater control valves on every car I own. If it has heater hoses inside the passenger compartment, that is one ignorant design that is for sure. But one you live with, put new quality hoses there with new clamps and you will never have a problem again as far as you own it. I would think about replacing valve too, but only with a quality NOS (New Old Stock) like I used in my Rambler don't replace it just to replace it using some Chinese junk from today. Replace it if it looks at all funky, with a quality valve. If you replace it with some Chinese junk, it might as well be left the way it is.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1546.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	421.3 KB
ID:	64059  
Old 03-17-2012, 08:55 AM

Last photo:

And by the way on your question of another heater core, this isn't an unrealistic question, many cars over the years have had more than one heater core. First off, there are modern mini vans and SUV's that have heater cores in the back (along with an AC evaporator). But I know that I worked on a Lincoln Continental from the forties (as I remember that is what it was) that had a round heater core under each front seat! So you had personalized heat controls for the driver and passenger!

I had forgotten about that car until I did a little google search for your question and found a Lincoln with two heater cores in the dash, one for passenger and one for driver.

Brian
Old 03-17-2012, 04:11 PM

Last photo:

The heater hoses both terminate at the firewall, just 1 hose has 2 connections in the fresh air box on the pass side. The box itself is bigger than the driver side box which is pretty much a 5-6" tube tube, and the pass side has access panels. I'll have to pull them off and see whats inside. Heat works as it should, and I have replaced all the hoses with Gates high quality. hoses. complex job for hoses, as the radiator has to come out to make it easy, and the powerglide cooler has to get loosened to get the intermediate hose changed on it. heater hoses were the easy part.. The HCV works and it opens and closes when the temp control is slid up and down

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.