Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Extra-tall Jack Stands?
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2013, 07:15 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hi guys We have made jack stands in the past to hold up D8 dozers and 594 sidebooms. So that we could pull the track rails and replace the bottom rollers. We would use 6" 3/8" wall pipe Cut to about 38" tall. Then we would split the bottom half into Quarters about half way up. Heat them at the end of the cut and bend the legs out so that they would fit a 2' square of 1/4" inch plate. cut a miter to fit the plate and weld them down like your life depended on it! And holding 60 tons up in the air your life is really on the line. The point is if you did the same thing but on a smaller scale say use 2 1/2" schedual 80 pipe and maybe 1/8" plate you would have a set of jack stands that would last a lifetime and BE SAFE. I don't have any picts of the jacks we made, never thought to take any. But with the wide base they would be very stable. The only thing is to make sure the welds are good. If you don't feel like you can weld that good please take them to someone that can. I have made some sawhorses out of 3" square tube thats 1/4" wall thickness. that are about 30" high and they really work well. Those I can post picts of if anyone is interested. Hope this helps Bill