Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Garage - Tools (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/garage-tools/)
-   -   Extra-tall Jack Stands? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/extra-tall-jack-stands-229867.html)

S10xGN 02-22-2013 08:56 AM

Extra-tall Jack Stands?

Just curious now, are these even available? I looked around on the 'net and didn't see anything but pipe jacks. Too late for me, as I've already started fabbing up a set that will adjust up to ~ 30" tall. I'm building a set that will work with standard HF jackstand bottoms using inverted scaffold jack bases, but will end up having over $120 in the four...

Russ

NEW INTERIORS 02-22-2013 09:38 AM

All I use is the 6 ton jack stands from HF.. The have a wide base and go pretty high..

sedanbob 02-22-2013 05:15 PM

To maintain stability, with increased height you should also increase the size of the base. Using a standard base but making it taller, it will be less stable. One easy way might be to weld on a larger flat plate under the legs.

sedanbob 02-22-2013 05:26 PM

Here is a taller set - more expensive (maybe cheaper somewhere), but the dimensions here will help you figure out how big the base should be - these are 14 1/2" X 13" - the HF 3 ton ones are 7 1/2" X 7 1/2".
12-Ton Jack Stand | Ranger RJS-12T | Set of Two

timothale 02-22-2013 08:20 PM

old barrels

We used have some heavy wall 30 and 50 gallon barrels. Pick up a body with the Farm Fork lift we used to stack hay, and it would pick up one end of a car.

Larry123 02-22-2013 08:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's mine, extra tall made from an old rear end housing. They measure 22 inches tall. slip them under the rear axle.used them for many years.cost was free!

DanielC 02-22-2013 09:22 PM

To be honest, those 22 inch tall stands just look like a way to get a car about two feet in the air, and the ability to move about two feet sideways, as it is falling in your general direction.

AFX 02-22-2013 09:40 PM

Exactly! The Harbor Frieght ones with a stack of 4x12" lumber so you dont extend the stand so far it becomes unstable. I've had my car nearly 3' in the air and could'nt shake it.
Squeeling under a car calling for your wife to figure out how to get it off you sounds like fun.

Larry123 02-22-2013 09:55 PM

They are actually very stable on flat ground; then again I haven’t been under them in an earthquake. Don’t think I would like to be under any car on stands during an earthquake….:sweat:

TommyK 02-23-2013 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S10xGN (Post 1649229)
Just curious now, are these even available? I looked around on the 'net and didn't see anything but pipe jacks. Too late for me, as I've already started fabbing up a set that will adjust up to ~ 30" tall. I'm building a set that will work with standard HF jackstand bottoms using inverted scaffold jack bases, but will end up having over $120 in the four...

Russ

What's wrong with pipe jacks?

timothale 02-23-2013 07:00 AM

safety first

I have an old tree stump with a smilley face painted on it, He's my buddy, He always goes under-neath with me when I am working with jackstands or ramps. We had 2 cars up with all 4 wheels on ramps When the Big 89 earthquake hit in California, I was tired when I came home from work, was lying down, resting in the house and IT shook the car I had been working on and It rolled it off the ramps. I would have been seriously injured If I had been under it.

gearheadslife 02-23-2013 07:10 AM

any big rig parts store (fleet pride/etc) will have tall stands..

S10xGN 02-23-2013 08:45 AM

I've thought about the (in)stability, I may tack weld some 1" square tube between the tops if it doesn't interfere with my work. Or I may just leave the rotisserie's end pieces in place.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyK (Post 1649555)
What's wrong with pipe jacks?

Over $100 each is what's wrong, then there's the storage issue. I finished mine yesterday, the inverted scaffold jack base has an acme threaded wing nut that will allow me to fine-tune the adjustment.

Russ

DanielC 02-23-2013 09:49 AM

I used to work in a boat shop. The rule was we did not go under a boat, not fully on a trailer, unless it was supported by TWO independent ways, each one capable of supporting the boat by itself. Most of the boats we worked on had lifting rings, and we has a pair of chain hoists that used the lifting rings, and we would build a crib or box of longer 4 x 6 timbers to also go underneath the boat.

If you have the rotisserie, it would seem a no-brainer to leave it in place, and also use the taller jack stands in place. I too think is is a very good idea to tie then both together, ideally with a strut going diagonally from the bottom of one to the top of the other.

MARTINSR 02-23-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry123 (Post 1649454)
Here's mine, extra tall made from an old rear end housing. They measure 22 inches tall. slip them under the rear axle.used them for many years.cost was free!

I have a pair of those, classic. But I have never gotten under a car with them. A bar frame or something, ok but no way am I going to get under a car using them.

Brian