extra thick clear coat.. how to? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2008, 08:23 PM
From the middle of the world

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

extra thick clear coat.. how to?

I want a very deep finish, like glass.

If I apply too many coats of clear it will run and drip, how can I make it very thick? is it ok to let it dry overnigth the first layers and then apply a second session the next day?

do I have to sand in between?

I'll be using urethane.

thanks for your suggestions.

Augusto.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2008, 09:46 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Why would you want it extra thick? If you apply thick coats, you may be prone to get trapped solvents and solvent popping amoung other things, could lead to more urethane wave and extra thick clear could mean more problems and more prone to chipping. You can get a deep mirror like gloss without many coats to do it. Any more then 3 maybe 4 coats should try to be avoided if its possible (may take some to bury graphics). Its not the lacquer days anymore where many get the idea that 10 coats of clear is a good thing.paints are far higher solids and most manufacturers recommend 2 to 3.
Many apply flow coats for show jobs, you can search for on here. They do it to sand out urethane peel, and because clear seems to lay out nicer on top of already sanded clear. But they are also sanding quite a bit back off in between.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:13 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

depth and reflection are achieved by clarity of finish. it must be flat and free of imperfections such as scratches or peel. thickness of clear has little to do with it. if you do go with multiple coats you better use a clear designed for it like spi. never do more than 3 coats at a time. block with 600 and let cure overnight before reclear.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:08 PM

I want to achieve a finish like the old candy apple, please tell me how to do it.

thanks.

Augusto.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:14 PM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

color has nothing to do with appearance. candy apple is a transparent color over a base. sorry but it takes many years of experience to do a candy job. theres just too much to it to explain.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:41 PM

I don't want the whole procedure, I have a HP book that explains it, I just want to know how to deal with urethane's clear coat, I read elsewhere that you can't apply more coats after it has flash dried, or the next day, I don't think this is true but want to make sure I won't mess up giving a second coat of clear the next day or even later after I finish sanding the previous coat ( I do have to sand it, am I rigth? 600??)

Augusto.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:19 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusto
I don't want the whole procedure, I have a HP book that explains it, I just want to know how to deal with urethane's clear coat, I read elsewhere that you can't apply more coats after it has flash dried, or the next day, I don't think this is true but want to make sure I won't mess up giving a second coat of clear the next day or even later after I finish sanding the previous coat ( I do have to sand it, am I rigth? 600??)

Augusto.
Most people spray 3 coats in one session giving proper flash times, and cut and buff to perfection, CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM!!!: You may want to hold of on doing any painting soon and read up on some basics, you cant guess at this hobby. You have to know the proper materials, steps, and sequence to attack this trade or it will bite you on the *****. Below is a very good basics of the basics article i believe it was written by a member here MARTINSR, you may want to start here

http://www.autobody101.com/basics.pdf
Old 07-07-2008, 08:10 PM

Last photo:

Many are correct about the depth issue you are trying to acheive, it really is in the wet sanding and buffing technique. But I am a firm beleiver in having the material (clear) thick enough to be able to wet sand enough, especially around edges and such. I have always used PPG 2021 clear, and like many have stated should spray no more than 2-3 coats. Well I always put down 5-6 coats in one spray session without any trouble. The way you avoid any trouble with solvent pop,runs or sags is go extreme flash times. The norm for spraying 2021 clear with DCX61 hardner and DT885 reducer in this heat would be 10-15 min. I always triple it. You want it almost dry to the touch before putting down your next coat. It is going to take you much longer to spray it all out than normally, but you will avoid the mentioned problems because you are not stacking the coats while they are still "wet". You can also try the so-called "show car" technique by putting down 2-3 coats, then wet sanding and spraying 2-3 more coats. Have tried this and I dont see any advantage with the end result just a lot more extra work. I say just put down more clear the first time around let it fully cure before cutting and buffing.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:20 PM

Last photo:

Many are correct about the depth issue you are trying to acheive, it really is in the wet sanding and buffing technique. But I am a firm beleiver in having the material (clear) thick enough to be able to wet sand enough, especially around edges and such. I have always used PPG 2021 clear, and like many have stated should spray no more than 2-3 coats. Well I always put down 5-6 coats in one spray session without any trouble. The way you avoid any trouble with solvent pop,runs or sags is go extreme flash times. The norm for spraying 2021 clear with DCX61 hardner and DT885 reducer in this heat would be 10-15 min. I always triple it. You want it almost dry to the touch before putting down your next coat. It is going to take you much longer to spray it all out than normally, but you will avoid the mentioned problems because you are not stacking the coats while they are still "wet". You can also try the so-called "show car" technique by putting down 2-3 coats, then wet sanding and spraying 2-3 more coats. Have tried this and I dont see any advantage with the end result just a lot more extra work. I say just put down more clear the first time around let it fully cure before cutting and buffing.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:19 PM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

apply 3 coats let cure overnight, block with 600 then let cure overnight. then final 3 coats . block with 1000 thru to 3000 . polish to effect you want.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:03 PM

clearcoat application

assuming your using a urethane 2 part clear with hardner.. Trying to apply a heavy coat is called a Flow coat.. you can only put as much on as your gun and the clear will allow.. By slowing down your movement with the gun and moving a little closer will put a flowcoat on.. do a test first to be carefull not to have clear running everywhere.. I prefer shooting a tack coat or a medium wet coat.. let flash off.. shoot another coat a little heavier.. let flash.. then shoot a flow coat.. 3 should be enough..allow to dray for about 7 days.. should be hard as a rock.. Begin wet sanding with 1000 grit, then 1200, 1500,2000,2500 ... swirl remover.. then polish.... finish will be deep and awesome.. good luck
Old 07-08-2008, 08:44 PM

the main problem with urethane is the limited time to apply a second coat before it hardens in the gun, so I have to prepare it several times, more patience here than ordinary, but you know this is why it's called "work" not "easy"

what would be better, sparying a bit dry or diluting it a bit thicker?

or maybe normal but coating very fast?

I see I can let it dry overnigth, good that's what I wanted to know.

in short... color coat, 15+ min flash, 3 clear coats, let dry overnigth, sand 600, spray 3 more clear coats, bust your A55 polishing. RIGTH?

BTW, I'm not a shadetree mechanic, but don't have much experience in show quality paint jobs, just regular budget jobs, not many movie star customers here.

Thanks

Augusto.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:28 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Augusto - follow Shine's method of painting - it works. And you are right - not many movie stars in Ecuador - at least not when I've been in Guayaquil - but usually it's us common working folk here in the USA who are the ones that like the super paint jobs.

Dave W
Old 07-09-2008, 12:55 PM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

think of it this way. each coat you apply will have trash and some peel in it. get your base covered,scuff any trash out, 1 coat of base. let flash for 30 min. apply 1 coat of clear, let flash 30 min or more. do it 2 more times. then block. now you already have a clear base blocked smooth. so 2 or 3 final coats but pay close attention to them. now you only have 2 or 3 coats of trash or peel to deal with. not 5 or 6. good luck with it.

spend your time sanding.....not buffing.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:56 PM

OK, thank you very much guys, I appreciate you help.

P.S. Dave I hope you got a good time in Guayaquil, there's plenty to do and party there.

Augusto.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.