extra wire for 63 falcon? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2008, 06:25 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

extra wire for 63 falcon?

I am trying to get this engine started and replaced the starter and the ignition coil. Now the engine turns over, but no more. I was tracing the wiring and there is a lead that goes nowhere. It is black with a spade connector and appears to go where the alternator (generator) is possibly. There are 2 other wires in the same area and they both are attached here. This third wire I don't see where else it could go any help appreciated or a wiring digram might be nice 63 falcon 4dr sedan This is a inline 6 289
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2008, 06:37 PM

Last photo:

On your starter Solenoid, there should be a wire that goes to the coil. It goes to the same terminal on the coil as the wire from the ballast resistor. The coil needs 12 volts to start and gets the voltage from there, when the car starts, this circuit drops out and your coil is running on 8 volts through the ballast resistor.

If the wire from the coil to the starter solenoid is not wired in, she is not going to bring you any happiness.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:47 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

'63 Falcon would have a 170 CI 6cyl, but could be swapped for a 200 and look the same.. I know that the '63 Falcon uses a resistor wire and not a ballast resistor... your starter solonoid will be close to the battery and the + battery cable runs into it.. it has 2 smaller terminals, 1 is labled S and 1 is labled I... S gets 12v from the start position and closes the relay/ solonoid, then current can pass to the starter.. the I terminal will pass 12v to the coil when starting.. you will just need to use a ballast resistor if you cannot find the right wire... the ballast resistor for a Mopar will work. just wire it into an ignition on circuit

Go on www.tffn.net and ask for a wiring diagram.. Early mustang diagrams are simmilar but they use alternators, but they are everywhere on the internet
Old 06-09-2008, 06:45 PM

Not Sure About This

I found a wiring diagram and it shows the positive from the battery to the starting motor relay and then to the starter. This is what I have and there is a ground wire on the starter and no more. On the ignition coil I have a black and red wire that attach to the positive and negative on the coil at the top then I have 2 wires from the coil to the distributor one on top that plugs on the center of the distributor and one that comes in on the bottom of the distributor. This all appears correct on the wiring diagram. I don not see a wire that goes back to the starter relay or starter. The red wire on the ignition coil goes to a terminal on the engine near the firewall it appears.
?? Now I am looking at my wire diagram and it appears to only show 3 wires on the coil think. This is the link if anyone can help http://www.wiring-wizard.com/Diagram...0schematic.pdf I would appreciate or tell me what to test where to find where the problem is. I took a plug out and had no spark.
Also out of curiosity what is the difference between generator or alternator
Old 06-09-2008, 07:05 PM

Last photo:

ok, 1 of the 2 wires that is on your coil goes to the starter relay/ solonoid thru the harness, the other comes from the dash.. under the dash you will find a thin pink wire, that is the ignition/ resistor wire..

Generators generate DC current, and Alternators generate A/C current and then convert to D/C thru the use of 3 diodes,.. Alternators work backwards from a Generator.. in a generator, the feild current is induced into windings on the side walls, and the part that the electricity is induced to, is the moving part.. an Alternator works compleatly oposite
Old 06-09-2008, 07:26 PM

what exactly am i looking to do with the wire?

I know this may sound stupid to you but what do I do if these wires are correct as you staterd and cannot start where do I check I am going to check the wires now. Is there a way to check the voltage and trace out the wires with a meter or check that the generator is good or something?
Just checked under dash there are three pink wires that I see two attach to the steering column and another I did not trace out but it had a 32volt 2 amp fuse on it which I checked and it is good.

Last edited by 63falcon; 06-09-2008 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:47 PM

Last photo:

change the points and the condensor, there probably garbage from sitting
Old 06-10-2008, 05:36 PM

changed points and condenser still no spark at plugs any advice
Old 06-10-2008, 05:46 PM

quick fix= run 12 volts from battery to plus side of coil. if car has fuel compression ,it should now have temporary spark and should start. find the problem later. don't grind on starter.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:46 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63falcon
changed points and condenser still no spark at plugs any advice
did you gap the points? if you did, take a wire, put 1 end of it on the + side of the coil, the other end on the battery, turn it on and crank it up.. if it fires up, pull the jumper wire you just connected.. if it stays running, you have a problem with the starter bypass wire, if that's the case, neatly run a new 1 from the I terminal on the solonoid to the + side of the coil..... might want to check the coil for the correct resistance, they rarely go bad, but they can
Old 06-10-2008, 05:51 PM

I did not gap the points. I am fairly new to this. What do I have to do to gap it? The coil is brand new also. It appears to have spark at the point but not at plugs. The plug wires appear to be new and are in correct order
Old 06-10-2008, 05:59 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

As a temporary test, note temporary test, hook up a wire from your battery to your coil + (positive) terminal, and crank it to see if you have spark. If not you could have a faulty, coil, condenser, or wrong points adjustment.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:13 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I did not gap the points. I am fairly new to this. What do I have to do to gap it? The coil is brand new also. It appears to have spark at the point but not at plugs. The plug wires appear to be new and are in correct order
that's a sign for incorrect gap.. sounds like it's working right other than the incorrect gap... loosen the retaining screw on the points, open them up, put a .018 feeler gauge between, slide it togther and tighten them up... also use some dieelectric grease on the back of the points cam.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:38 PM

what exactly am i putting the feeler gauge between to gap it ? Thanks in advance
Old 06-10-2008, 06:42 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
what exactly am i putting the feeler gauge between to gap it ? Thanks in advance
the point contacts

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.