extreme budget t bucket - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2006, 02:06 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

extreme budget t bucket

Hey everyone, I'm trying to get some more ideas on another project that I have been tossing around in my head. In the vain of original hot rodders running t buckets on "newer" model a chassis I would like to build a t bucket using a stock frame off of a newer car. I figure if I can buy a running and driving car or truck cheap why can't I strip it down and add a t bucket body on it. The current idea for a chassis is a 94 thunderbird. Being a subframe car it is easy to change the wheelbase, and a high point is that it uses a short arm long arm front suspension instead of struts, and has irs. One downfall that quickly comes to mind is the unusual bolt pattern (5 x 100mm) but I have access to a bridgeport so thats only a minor problem.
The other 2 ideas I had was for a turbo coupe thunderbird or a ranger. But there is the major problem of getting the suspension to ride ok without all that weight on it. Also I thought about the framerails being to wide for the chassis but I don't think thats really a problem because I can weld in rails inside of the other ones then cut the originals off. I'm sure there's alot I'm missing here, so I figure it would be a good idea to run it by others before I dive right in. Any suggestions or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

- Larry

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2006, 02:37 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Welcome to Hotrodders.com

We are one of the most diverse bunch of rodders on the net. I myself build a little more traditional style vehicles ... but I am sure someone here will speak up about your project under consideration ...

Deuce ...
Old 09-22-2006, 02:40 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Not a good idea. The T-bird is a Sub frame car...no frame rails so thats no good. If you do use a car that has frame rails... the frame will be way too wide for a T-bucket body. Also the front suspension on the modern frames and subframes looks like crap without fenders. T-bucket frames are cheap and easy to make with 2x3 tubing . You had a good idea...but in reality it just won't work good.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:48 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Highrise
Not a good idea. The T-bird is a Sub frame car...no frame rails so thats no good. If you do use a car that has frame rails... the frame will be way too wide for a T-bucket body. Also the front suspension on the modern frames and subframes looks like crap without fenders. T-bucket frames are cheap and easy to make with 2x3 tubing . You had a good idea...but in reality it just won't work good.
unless a body was built around the frame. I plan to do that myself, with an S10 frame out of fiberglass, in a year or so.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:08 PM

Last journal entry: Kinda showing off
Last photo:

Why?

First off any one can do whatever they want, but why do any thing like this at all. The t bucket is a simple project. As stated 2x3 or my choice 11/2 x3 is easy to get and simple to weld. ANY OEM frame out in the open on a T would be so ugly you would want hide your head in my opinion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tbucit005.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	235.1 KB
ID:	15103   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tbucit.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	15104  
Old 09-22-2006, 05:30 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Welcome to the site rust_is_free. rust_is_free until you try to get rid of it! The T bucket is a very narrow body and will not adapt to newer frames. What you are thinking will cost you more money and time than building a set of rails from 2X4 tubing ($200 should about cover it). Buy your donor car and keep the drivetrain and part out the rest. Then buy yourself a dropped front axle with brakes and suspension; a steering box and drag link and you have what you would have if you used a donor car/truck. It will look clean and ride well. It will be easy to build and the time you save will be well worth it. This has been talked about many times on this site. Use the search function and type in donor frame or hot rod donor frame or rat rod donor frame.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:38 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Arrowhead - a pic is worth a thousand words. Never did save any pics that looked so gross. Glad you did! Should have those on hand every time someone brings this up again. THANK YOU!!! By the way I followed your build in your journal - great job!!!!!!!!
Old 09-23-2006, 07:20 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Arrowhead,

Like Home Brew said, that is a GREAT collection of chassis pics...thanks for hanging on to those. My guess is they will be referred to quite often in the future.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:19 AM
Lost in the 60's

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy
Arrowhead,

Like Home Brew said, that is a GREAT collection of chassis pics...thanks for hanging on to those. My guess is they will be referred to quite often in the future.
AMEN!
Old 09-23-2006, 09:32 AM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:

If you have the skills to adapt a 94 T-bird subframe to run a t-bucket body on top, then you definitely have the skills to build your own frame, axel, radius rods etc. Send me your email and I'll shoot you some plans on how to go about all of that.

How to build a frame

How to build a frame jig

Cheap-o Build

All the tech info for t-buckets

Mike

Last edited by Nightfire; 09-23-2006 at 09:41 AM.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:31 AM

thanks

I just want to go ahead and thank everyone for their thoughts and feedback. First thanks mike for the links, some useful info there. I have done some frame work before, setting up a four link, front clip, frame rails, etc. but was just looking for an easy way out without having a solid axle. I thought that it would have been too ugly and after looking at the pics supplied by arrowhead, it really wouldn't look too good, with all of the suspension out in the open. matt167's idea of covering up the frame with the body is another idea I had, just make the buckets body a little bit bigger. my main reason for trying to use a stock frame is due to very limited space, the garage is a small one car that i just started renting, so i thought i would try to build something that would fit in it, and i have extremely limited funds, too many projects, and im in college.
does anyone remember a car they called the "spaghetti bender" in street rodder a few years ago. it was a ferrari drivetrain and chassis sitting under a track t body, obviously far more complicated than what i had in mind. i'll try to find it and put a pic up. the body did a great job of covering up the front suspension. my idea was basically to build something that could handle with newer muscle cars and but look better in my opinion. I really am just leary about solid front axles, having no experience with them. Just trying to find something that would be fixable with off the shelf parts. Now im just ramblin. but i guess i will have to reconsider the project and maybe just go back to finishing up my barracuda. Thanks again.

- Larry
Old 09-23-2006, 10:39 AM
Lost in the 60's

You can get off the shelf parts and components for solid axles....go to www.speedwaymotors.com A T-frame is a lot smaller that what you were talking about. It will fit in your garage a lot better.
Old 09-23-2006, 03:19 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

add this T bucket off ebay to that list of ugly framed T's. this 1 could have looked decent if curvature was added, but it looks like it was made out of a sheet of plywood. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Other...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 09-23-2006, 04:33 PM

i know that you can get new parts for solid axles from places like speedway motors. what i had in mind when i said that was more along the lines of a regular parts store, like napa. actually i don't know if napa does carry stuff for solid axles, i suppose they may for newer trucks with solid axles. i did see someone use a solid axle out of an f150. anyone know what years had solid front axles? but that may be too wide too.
i do see what everyone means of how ugly a t bucket looks with an exposed ifs. i was just more concerned with how much abuse they can take. coming from a younger generation i have really no experience with solid axles. i just don't want to be afraid of driving the car hard.

- Larry

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.