extreme energy flat tappet cams - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2010, 01:48 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Some go as high as 10,000 miles. They dont all die at break in. Its a nice little surprise. Trust me,most of ya will be back posting just the opposite before its over

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2010, 02:35 PM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

What a bunch of bull. Been running an extreme 262 for over 15 years. Never a problem. Break it in the correct way and you won't have a problem.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:15 PM

Last photo:

hm...sounds like crap talk to me lol, well some have some dont, like i said b4 there are bad one in them all even comp and im a compcams man my self...
Old 07-25-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rockin daddy
What a bunch of bull. Been running an extreme 262 for over 15 years. Never a problem. Break it in the correct way and you won't have a problem.
A lot happens in 15 yrs chum and a lot of diff in your cam and what the OP was talking about. Apples and apples OK
Old 07-25-2010, 05:57 PM

Last journal entry: fish carb
Last photo:

Agressive flat cams ,think of this guys, back in the day we run flat cams in nascar with mushroom lifters, turned the motor 7g,s steady for 500 miles xpt for pit stops n red n yellows, cams lasted, hardly ever a problem with cams,so obviously there must be something wrong with either, oil, mfg process or operator error, so its narrowed down to 3, Its unfortunate Crane is gone, I never had a single problem with one of their cams.
Ralph Johnson one if not the best engine builders in the u.s. was in the r.d. dept. Ralph worked for Smokey for many years.
So ruling out a known.Operator error, i really suspect it must be mfg. processI.E. Hardness of cam.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:58 PM

Last photo:

FYI i broke in a comp cam with .520 lift on these exact heads with zero problems. i think there's only a problem with the more radical profiles.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashem
FYI i broke in a comp cam with .520 lift on these exact heads with zero problems. i think there's only a problem with the more radical profiles.
Agreed (to an extent) without the zinc in the oil comp should have never tried a near roller type profile on a flat and when mine failed (no proof now cause comp has it) I could scrape pieces off with a dime strore pocket knife. Q.C. has went south in comp. The bucks is in advertizing now
Old 07-26-2010, 06:48 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

About a year ago, there was a rather lengthy- and at times, heated- debate on this same thing concerning the more radical Comp XE profiles (as well as some not-so-rad) going south. This was after seemingly correct break in procedures, etc..

Something that may be worth considering (or not lol) is that, given the number of these cams that are sold (I'd guess more than any other brand by a good margin, thanks in part to that ad budget mentioned by Sooper), and that are sold to first time users, there is a greater chance of hearing of a failure- even if percentage-wise, there's no significant difference in the amount of failures by other makes of radical profile cams (like VooDoo) by first time users.

I mention first time users, because they are more likely to goof the timing or in some other way cause the engine to not start immediately, they'd be more likely to mess up prepping and lubing the cam and lifters properly, more likely to use the wrong springs, or other valve train components- so they'd be the ones most likely to blow the break in. AND they are more likely to get pulled in by all the ads.

But all that said, there does seem to be a lot of XE cams- for whatever reason- that fail.

FWIW, Comp offers an optional nitriding process that will help matters. It adds about $100 to the cost of the cam as of the last time I looked, but it would be alot cheaper than rounding a lobe.

There are the methods mentioned previously for getting oil to the lobe and lifter interface (grooving the lifter bore, and solid lifters w/EDM holes for direct lube), as well as super polished lifter faces, assuring lifter rotation before start-up, and other things as well.

But at the end of the day, it might be wiser to forgo the most radical profiles for a gentler one that will have just that bit more chance for a long life. The couple HP difference wouldn't likely even be noticed.

And a roller is obviously the "cure" for ALL the problems associated w/flat tappet cams, except the cost- but even then, when compared w/losing a FT cam, the roller comes out ahead.

Last edited by cobalt327; 07-26-2010 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Add link.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:28 AM

I'm running a Comp Magnum 292h and Mobil 1 15-50,cam has about 700 hard miles on it...no problems so far but this thread is making me nervous!
Old 07-26-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckBird
I'm running a Comp Magnum 292h and Mobil 1 15-50,cam has about 700 hard miles on it...no problems so far but this thread is making me nervous!
Comp cams in general has slipped I'll grant you but pay close attention to the main topic here
XE (extreme energy )series
Old 07-26-2010, 08:53 AM

Before reassembly, check the lifter to block tolerances as stated. The lifters have to be able to spin freely when the engine is running. If there is any doubt, you can hone the lifter bores yourself with a wheel cylinder hone and wd-40. And just about any double spring is too stiff to break in a cam-remove the inners as previously stated. When breaking in the cam, the engine rpm must be varied up and down a little to change the oil splash that the cam gets. Just turning up the idle screw to 2000 or so rpm for 20 minutes doesn't help that much-you may be only splashing oil on the same lobes, while other lobes get none. Also, the lifters with the EDM hole in the face are a great help, but as said, those are for solid lifters only. I have never tried the lifter bore grooving tool. And definitely pull the engine completely apart and get all the trash out and start over. Good luck.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:00 AM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

Broken in incorrectly. Used double springs. Look at installation instructions. Will tell you expressly to not use double springs on break in.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:29 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

im curious as to how many ex bbc cams are sold a year
compared to how many you hear about that go bad
how many failed cams does it take for a company as large as comp cams
to do something about the problem
im guessing the failure pecentage rate isnt all that high
Old 07-26-2010, 07:33 PM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

You'd be guessing right on that. Comp still sells the XE line. If there was that much of a problem with the design, they would have found it in their testing. If problems with the lobe design were discovered they would have pulled it off the market by now.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:09 PM

Last photo:

Ok, I'll chime in since all the Comp Cam haters are doing their best here. I have an XE262 in my sbc, Edelbrock alum. heads, 120 closed 320 open, single 1.45" spring w/ damper. I called Comp and talked with "Red" the warranty claims mgr. before I fired it and explained the set up, using their cam lube...Rotella T 30w and 4 oz. bottle of ZDDP+. He said "sounds good to me". He also said that they haven't changed the material in any of their basic cams for years and that the entire industry is having problems due to the lack of zinc & phos.

So...we had gas in the carb float bowls and had the timing as close as possible. 2 cranks and it fired, took it up to 2500 rpm and let it run while we watched the temp and for leaks. When we finally shut it down I pulled the v/c's and all of the rocker arms were nice and tight. The oil filter showed no sign of metal. My cam is happy!! so am I. If you think how many Comp Cams are sold...probably 10 to 1 against all others you're sure to hear more "bad cam" stories.

Also, yes any cam can be a lemon and take a chit on you but I really think most of it is caused by human error by not adapting to the problems of the lousy oil. All you have to do is read some of the posts on this and other forums (not necessarily this op). Lets face it, some guys just don't know what they are doing.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.