extreme energy flat tappet cams - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2010, 09:25 PM
loves ex cop cars

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

cool rockin daddy,don't get yourself upset with what sooper says,if you read any of his posts you will find he is a mooron.he likes to get people upset,or go crazy.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2010, 10:01 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
Prolly something else I'm missing. But it has to be physically checked, you should not take it on faith or by figuring it out on paper

It is not recommended to use any type of oil restrictors to the lifter galley, or use windage trays or baffles in the pan, or plug any oil return holes in the valley during cam break in. "Note from Crane*"
I don't know if these have been mentioned before or not.

Good Pic of a Concave lifter here>> http://www.cranecams.com/?show=faq&id=1
Old 07-27-2010, 10:35 PM

Last photo:

I don't post on this forum to get into pi------ matches with anyone but 'Ol Sooper, you're a real piece of work. People post on here (including me) with pertinent information gleaned by personal experience and by doing research on the subject...I find it quite enjoyable at times in helping someone out and learning what others...who REALLY know have to say.

Now, I could personally give a sh-- less what you think in general or what you think of "Dear old Red". After speaking with the man for approx. 20 min. I highly doubt your quote is very accurate.

Cobalt327 writes several extremely informative paragraphs on what to do, how to do it and what to look out for, as do several other members. You chime in with another of your sarcastic statements about "Ya like the guy with the vet that had 10,000 miles on it and packed it in"...."or the guy with the camaro with 12,000 who had it pack in" ....very factual and well thought out.

I'm sure you'll respond to this with one of your intelligent remarks....so have at it. I'll bet the other members are also waiting with excited anticipation.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:01 PM

I've had nothing but good luck from Comp's stuff. Granted, it was all small block but I've broken in succesfully a XE268H and a XE274S.
The hydrallic was on Delo 15w-40, the solid was on Brad Penn Grade 1 10w-30.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:33 PM

Last photo:

Another tidbit,
About 10-12 years ago talking to a very good hi-performance machinist in my area, the subject of BBCs and bad cams came up. He says he has found more than a few blocks with lifter bores out of alignment of where they are suppose to be. On these blocks, he bores and bushes to restore to GM specs. He speculated that this mis-alignment was probably caused by a slight core shift in the casting process.

He further speculated then, that the loss of cam lobes in a BBC could be a result of this.

The oil's diminishing quantities of zinc and phosphorous could be only adding to the problems many are seeing in recent years.

Many good ideas in this thread. If the OP will just follow the advice in this thread he would be on the right track. What a great resource this place is.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:46 AM

Last journal entry: fish carb
Last photo:

Overdriv, this is a very good and knowlabele machinist,you are lucky to have this guy in your aerea,this is called "absolute cam timing"takes a lot of time and will also get several more horsepower out of the motor.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:07 AM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

Hemijoe, have to agree with you on Sooper. Check out his act in the thread "help reading plug" and it becomes painfully obvious that he knows nothing about engines. He seems to be the type that "buys" his engines and rods and really doesn't bother to ask what was built for him. The problem with a poser like him is he comes on here and posts erroneous information that a newbie would take as something he/she should do, do it, and ruin their engine. I hope more people call him out on this and he just goes away.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:30 AM

Last photo:

Yes, more common for BBC's can have block issues. And any cam, more aggressive than stock plus the "weaker" oil can make problems.

furthermore, a typical BBC cam has more lift:duration ratio than a sbc cam and the lifter diameter is the same which makes the BBC cams more aggressive from the onset.

Plus, BBC's need more spring pressure to control a valve train that is much heavier than a typical SBC. And this causes even more stress on the lifter face.

so, extra care is required to get a cam to live in a BBC.

I personally went through 3 or 4 cams in my 454. also most gave up building engines. went to a roller cam and still didn't fix the problem totally as the valve train was very loud over 4000 rpms. Had the lifter bores checked for alignment and they were off but didn't have them fixed due to cost (500.00).
Then I noticed the bores were very tight (>0.001" clearance). I sanded down a set of flat tappet lifters on a lathe (set to 0.0015" clearance), used an over cam oiling bar from BC Engineering, broke in a new flat tappet cam, and the cam lived which was a first for my engine block. Even took the engine back apart to make sure the lifters and cam were good. I my case the lifter bore size was the biggest issue and not so much the alignment.

I checked my bores with slugs that I machined on a lathe. I made 4 slugs larger than a stock lifter in 0.0005" increments. Use a go/no go test to check for clearance.

I feel lifter bore size and alignment should be checked in all big block chevys. And lift bore issues is the reason for most cam failures. A roll of the dice with a BBC. Do you feel lucky? Well do ya, punk?
Old 07-28-2010, 07:48 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rockin daddy
Hemijoe, have to agree with you on Sooper. Check out his act in the thread "help reading plug" and it becomes painfully obvious that he knows nothing about engines. He seems to be the type that "buys" his engines and rods and really doesn't bother to ask what was built for him. The problem with a poser like him is he comes on here and posts erroneous information that a newbie would take as something he/she should do, do it, and ruin their engine. I hope more people call him out on this and he just goes away.
He's already been given a suspension for a post elsewhere, for profanity.

And as far as "erroneous information" goes, there is far worse here in our midst, IMO.

AFA tight lifter bores, as long as you use a LIGHT touch, a brake cylinder hone will work fine to touch them up- providing the stone is good. Just removing ALL the varnish using a shotgun brush and solvent will often help a LOT.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:54 AM

Last photo:

Another thing that I don't remember seeing mentioned, is spring height.

It is absolutely imperative to install your new springs to the recommended install height. And check the seat pressure at correct install height. You could have been given the wrong springs. Springs designed to be installed at 1.9" installed at 1.8" will ruin a cam in five minutes, no matter what kind of oil, lube, additive you use.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:04 PM

i went back to magnum cams after trouble with newer grinds.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:53 PM

Last photo:

Granted Ive only buillt SB chevys, I have successfully broke in a comp 270h with no additives, just regular 'ole Penzoil. ( That was several years ago, before I knew about the zinc) Since then I broke in a 286h with no issues, but I did add the Lucas additive. I also put a comp thumper cam in my v8 s-10 and "knock on wood" I have not had any issues with it either. (I also used Lucas additive with zinc on this one) I am 24 years old and have put in 3 different Comp cams in two different engines with no issues. on another note, a friend of mine went through two crane enigizer cams and a Laser cam in a 305. None of them were aggressive. he claimed he followed the same breakin procedure as I did. Crane did send him a new cam, and it has been running every since. They claimed that the second cam failure was a hardness issue and they made it right. It wiped 3 lobes! I think all cam manufactures have their issues, but the main thing is break in procedure! Some folks hate comp while some love them. The same with Crane, and so on. Its just like anything else. If someone has a bad experience, no matter who caused the issue they are gonna talk bad about that particular manufacturer. I have not had any dealings with BBC's though.

Chevyguy13
Old 09-22-2010, 09:36 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,063 Times in 882 Posts
It's human nature. There was a study done on this years ago. If something good happens to a person, they will tell 3 people. If something bad happens to them, they will tell 7 people. Human nature.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.