Extremely hard clearcoat???? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2010, 07:40 PM
Technician

Last wiki edit: Epoxy primer
Wiki Edits: 17

It might be better next time to paint your vette with bed liner. It will make a better non-skid surface while using it as a ladder as well as take being scraped with a shovel better.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2010, 08:04 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine
wax and grease remover in clear makes jelly. mix some together and see what happens. dont see any way this could have happened and still cured. but then i dont use shopline.
LOL shine ,Now how would you know that??? I've made a few batches of jelly myself...
I've also woke up in the middle of the night and thought I screwed some up and really didnt...(lost a whole nights sleep) this may be a case like that..but the worst is when it dosent dry and you wait a week praying to the paint gods for a miracle then have to get all that goo off...
dont paint after dark, its miller time...
Old 08-22-2010, 08:38 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

no need to thank me for the help as myself has painted several thousand cars i have ran into problems myself. the longtivity of the clear will be shorted for sure but it will last for along while anyways. any one that knows anything about solvent borne paint would know everything becomes a soild and cannot be sanded off as coats. if this were a 50000 dollar show car i would tell you to strip the whole car and start over but you states it wasen't. i am a rep for dupont/spies hecker solvent and waterborne paints and have seen many things, this kind of stuff happens to alot of people that dosen't paint day to day.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:26 PM

Last photo:

[QUOTE i am a rep for dupont/spies hecker solvent and waterborne paints and [/QUOTE]

LMFAO!

Submit the essay to the boss and he may give you a raise.

Last edited by BarryK; 08-22-2010 at 09:36 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:51 PM

Last photo:

ok barry and why cant you believe that have you never heard of a paint rep before. go **** yourself
Old 08-22-2010, 09:55 PM

Last photo:

ok barry since you know so ****in much why don't you tell us what has happen here and what he should do. can't wait to hear this!!
Old 08-22-2010, 10:00 PM

Last journal entry: Hood
Last photo:

Whoa......
Old 08-22-2010, 10:35 PM
Technician

I'm happy to be back, now that I don't take this stuff so seriously.

But it's still astonishing how much utter balderdash gets accepted as fact around here!

LMAO!
Old 08-22-2010, 10:37 PM

Last photo:

ok tell us what you think happen if everything i say is bs
Old 08-22-2010, 10:49 PM

Last photo:

Who cares what other people think/say. When people dont hear the answers they want its only natural to insult others and whine about anything they can.

Back to the issue at hand. I have the entire car blocked out with 1500 grit and will block it with 2000grit before laying down my last layer of clear.

I will make sure I dont make the same mistake twice.

Thanks for all the help from everyone.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:57 PM
Technician

It does not matter. The OP is content with your advice, such as it is.

But those who are at all concerned with the durability of their finish would be well advised NOT to leave uncatalyzed clear as their topcoat. A situation like this might actually be less serious with a showcar that will have very limited exposure to the elements, but on a vehicle left outside, it will very likely prove to be a problem in very short order.

I will grant you, there will be some intermingling with the previous coat, but there is no way to prove that this is sufficient to initiate sufficient crosslinking of the last coat.

There would be NO WAY a vehicle with such a serious flaw would leave my shop, ever.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:57 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeembry
ok tell us what you think happen if everything i say is bs
If there is any truth to this whole story and we are talking Urethanes as I don't know Nason number or care enough to look up., so could be enamel for all I know and then what was said could happen.

If urethane, cannot and I repeat cannot mix itself with an ISO that is mixed in a previous coat, unless they were puddled back to back and then would not mix but may harden to a degree but it would have to be a soup bowl action.

Some wax and grease removers will mix with clears, one containing LDS or 300 series types, as a matter of FACT some crap clears use them as cheap fillers as they are mild and do no good or harm but a cheap way to take up space. Ever used a cheap medium solids clear and next to a high solid high price clear, the cheap clear looks thicker? There you go, LDS will do that for you and you save about 50 cents a lb. A fake thickener, for lack of better words.

SOOOOOOOOOO, if this was a urethane, the only thing that could have happened is he did mix some activator with the clear and may of mixed some wax and grease remover with it, the wax and grease remover most likely had a higher then "urethane grade" moisture content and acted as an accelerator
and that is why the clear was so hard the next day to wet-sand.

My best guess as none of the story adds up.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:11 PM

Last photo:

The story is short and simple. Zero hardener, mixed clear with wax remover.
Already had 2 coats of clear on the car.

Still got hard. Simple as that, believe it or not. I am 100% sure I did not put any hardener in the clear.

I think god was looking down and said Damn! This poor guy just messed up royaly.... He needs my help.

I also checked the left over clear that I messed up. It has not jelled at all and is still in liquid form in the sealed container.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:22 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427blownvette
The story is short and simple. Zero hardener, mixed clear with wax remover.
Already had 2 coats of clear on the car.

Still got hard. Simple as that, believe it or not. I am 100% sure I did not put any hardener in the clear.

I think god was looking down and said Damn! This poor guy just messed up royaly.... He needs my help.

I also checked the left over clear that I messed up. It has not jelled at all and is still in liquid form in the sealed container.
------------------------------------------------------------

Hope it works out but remember an unactivated or under activated clear will dry inside to touch but when pulled in sun will turn soft and then dry again when you pull it inside and will never cure just dry and undry, for lack of better words.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:27 PM

Last photo:

haha That will be a horror story. Thanks for letting me know, I had no idea.

I sanded the sh** out of this car. I am hoping that I took off the entire last coat. I know that I messed up bad and all I can do know is see what happens and hope for the best.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.